Friday, January 21, 2005

What a Good Day is Like

Last night we went to a dulcimer jam. I brought my husband along because I wanted to go so that I could take their free class and then attempt to play some of the songs. I felt sort of bad for him just sitting there, and of course even though I was having a ball, I felt guilty for dragging him along. I really didn't think he would actually be enjoying it. When we got to the car, he said not only did he enjoy it but he actually thought he'd like to get one and learn to play! So I was THRILLED. I think it's soooo much fun, and it would be doubly so if we could both do it.
So today, I told him we should go look at dulcimers for him, and he was all for it.
We went to visit my dulcimer teacher, who also is a luthier (a person who makes stringed instruments- see you learned a new word!). He taught hubby a simple song and let him go through his huge selection of dulcimers, playing them. Hubby finally found one he liked, and while he was trying them, I also found one I LOVED. We had the money with us to buy one, but not two. Plus I have one, just not a cedar full sized one with a great "voice" like this one had... Well to make a long story short, we decided to take both of them, so I got another duclimer! We worked out the financial part and both came home with new dulcimers in new cases, with new books, new straps, etc etc, all the goodies.
Wait, this gets better! While we were there, I mentioned the classes I've been taking from this teacher on Tuesday nights, and he said my husband should go to them. So he got on the phone with the community ed lady, and she agreed to his late enrollment. Then the teacher sat in his living room and taught him both of the classes he had missed. So now he's registered to go with me this week. He's all caught up, plus he's all excited about the songs he already knows. And he's planning more festivals we can go to. We even talked about when he retires, buying a travel trailer, so we can go to them all over the US and not have to stay in a motel "with other people's cooties."
So since my daughter commented that my blog seems to reflect my being really happy or really down from day to day, I wanted to title this one, what a good day is like!

No comments: