Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Where'd I Park the Car?


Oh, Lord, it's hot in Alabama. And even hotter now that our freaking central air unit decided to konk out. Last night, trying to sleep with no air and hot flashes was miserable. The repair guy is suppose to come check it this morning. He came last August, replaced some parts and charged $945 dollars! It better not be that high this time. The unit is only nine years old!
I got into this cleaning and tossing mode, and now I think I'm getting too carried away with the tossing! I feel so good to see one thing cleaned out, I go back and throw out even more and even more. My husband better glue himself to his chair and hang on to the dogs. ha.

I really like going to my therapy appointments, and figure as long as my insurance continues to pay for it, I'll go. I'm becoming much less of a wimp, and starting to recognize wimpy behavior when I do it (or others do, Amy :-) I'm starting to be able to think of what assertive comments should be made when people are rude or pushy or mean, instead of thinking of them an hour after my chance to say them is gone. Now if I can just get myself to SAY them when I THINK them, I'll have half the battle won, right?
I used to think I had to have everything figured out by the time I turned fifty. But I'm realizing now that part of the freedom in being fifty is realizing you don't have to figure it all out. And realizing things like I'll never be skinny, so I might as well just relax and enjoy being what I am. And that yeah, I've made some mistakes but that doesn't make me a bad person, just adds character to my personality, like a house with built in bookshelves and crown molding. It keeps me from being so BORINGGGG ! Of course, the people reading this may disagree. :-)
Turning fifty also means you take a drug store of medicine every day, my body makes the same noises as my coffee maker, and I lose my car instead of losing my keys, but it has it's good points. Actually I do lose my car a lot, especially if I drive on "automatic" to Walmart and park there without thinking. I come back out and look at this gigantic parking lot and my brain shortcircuits and I don't have a clue where I parked. What's really funny is when my husband is with me and NEITHER of us can remember. Getting old is a lot more fun when you have someone else losing their mind at the same time. And it's much easier when you can laugh at it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well since you think you're so good at pointing out wimpiness, how about this.

We live in a triplex and there's just one giant driveway spreading across that all 6 of us share. Six cars, everybody has to park right or somebody (usually me, because of the spot I have) can't get out. We have a six-foot high berm of snow on our driveway, and part of it extends into our corner of the driveway, making exiting much more difficult. I came home from work last night and our middle neighbor had guests, both of whom had parked behind them in the driveway. Between their cars and the berm, I couldn't get in. So I parked on the street, while my husband watched from the window.

"Why didn't you go knock on their door and tell them to move it," he asked. "Now you're just going to have to go back out later and move your car."

"Because," I said. "They should just know that they're being asses and I shouldn't have to ask them."

The Tuckered One said...

I guess I'm a wimp, because I wouldn't have asked them to move their cars either.

Anonymous said...

My friend and her husband and kids are visiting us this week, so I figured I would just tell them to feel free to block my neighbors with their car.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone had lost their car in the parking lot at Wal-Mart. My parents called me from Wal-Mart once and asked me to come help them find their car. That is when I insisted they get a handicap tag...mentally handicapped.

Forest Lady said...

Another friend told me the funniest story to do with this. She said a lady she knows at church has a husband in the used car business, and he has her driving a different car all the time. She came out of WalMart and couldn't find her car. The associates were called because this lady was crying in the parking lot. She couldn't remember what her car looked like, and couldn't reach her husband. She had to assure them, that no, she didn't have Alzheimers

Anonymous said...

That woman is in an abusive marriage!!

You know what, if some ask me what color my pants are, I'd have to look down to be able to tell them.

My car gets lost in the parking lot I just click the little lock thing on my key chain thing and follow the honking sound until I find it.

You notice I said, "when my car gets lost." It's the cars fault, not mine. Never would I admit to not being able to remember where I had parked!

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh. This JUST happened to me.
It was super windy and I was pushing a huge cart of groceries with a screaming baby in the seat and a sick Elizabeth following me all around the parking lot whining about how sick she was.
It took me 10 minutes, but I found the damn car.

Forest Lady said...

Jessica! You're young to be starting this but welcome to the club!