Sunday, November 20, 2005

Walking the Line

















I have been getting phone calls from people at work, people who just can't stand the idea that I just left without something terrible happening, something someone must have done, something that has a to have a good juicy story behind it.....so they call, and call, and call. My son answers and says I'm not available. It's driving them nuts. Now they leave voice mails saying, "Please just call and tell me what happened? Did someone do something?" My first inclination is to just leave a message on the phone saying, "If you are calling from my former workplace, here's what happened...I quit. I don't work there anymore. Stop calling me!"
I am loving being home. I decided I needed a new hobby. I looked in Hobby Lobby's sale paper and found they have jewelry supplies half price. I thought if Lisa on Starting Over can make jewelry, and she's an idiot, then maybe I can. So I went down there and bought some stuff, made a few pieces, went back and bought some more, made some more. By now my husband is getting interested in what I am doing and he says I should make some for the kids at Christmas. I said I have everything I need except this particular set of pliers that would make this all so much easier, and we agree to go get them at Hobby Lobby before going to get groceries. Well, eighty dollars later (after they took the 50% off), he has bought me pliers, and a pile of beads, jewelry settings, sterling silver stuff, storage boxes for all the beads, etc etc. So now I'm set. Don't know what I 'm going to do with all this stuff after the kids get what they want, but I figure maybe I can sell some on Ebay or something.
We went last night to see Walk the Line. I grew up with country music, whether I wanted to or not, and I whined and complained about it all during my teenage years while my parents had Hank Williams or Chet Atkins or Tammy Wynette blaring on the stereo. But somehow it stuck. When I took up the dulcimer and found all the music for hymns, celtic songs, and country tunes, the country ones ended up making me feel like I was "coming home". So seeing a movie about Johnny Cash and remembering the words to all the songs was pretty cool. Of course, Reese Witherspoon sang a lot better than June Carter ever did, really. But who can beat that deep voice of Johnny Cash? "Because you're mine....I walk the Lineeeeee". Good movie.
Next week all my kids will be home for Thanksgiving, except my step-daughter in Florida. I'm cooking. Menu is Honeybaked Ham, Honeybaked Turkey Breast, Hashbrown Casserole, Broccoli Cheese Casserole, Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle, Cranberry Relish, Cornbread Dressing, Gravy, Deviled Eggs, Coconut Cake and good ol' Southern Sweet Iced Tea. I'll start cooking on Thursday and we are having dinner on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it.
Cathy was right. I'm much happier being home than I ever was at work!

2 comments:

Freebird said...

Yep, you should sell it. You could some away as Christmas gifts too. They're all very nice.

I love it that you're driving them mad. Heehee.

A Girl From Texas said...

Wow you and my sister have a lot in common. My sister loves to make jewelry and I've been trying to get her to start a blog, it's so easy, so she can promote her stuff......