Friday, January 27, 2006

Tsk Tsk Oprah...Shame on YOU!


Ok, for the whole Oprah Winfrey/James Frey controversy......I couldn't help but make the "mad cat meow" yesterday when watching her go for the jugular. She totally lost sight of the fact that the millions of people who read this book have brains, enough to realize that not everything we read is necessarily 100% accurate. We take books and get what we can from them. This book helped thousands of people find hope. Where it should be shelved in the bookstore, under fiction or not, doesn't negate that. This was a good book. And a guy wrote this about being a druggie, which meant he was a druggie when all this stuff happened, so accuracy is a not a given.
Oprah's 180 degree about face didn't help her image at all. It made her look like a person who can't make up her mind, and who changes due to public opinion. She crucified Frey to take the heat off herself. Tsk Tsk Oprah. I got my money's worth buying the book before Oprah's recommendation. Besides, her opinion isn't the catalyst for my life. (I can't afford any of her favorite things, anyway!)
I still stand by my opinion that she started out a really nice person and now has become the Oprah Goddess of television and hasn't gotten way too big for her britches. I wanted to step in on her show yesterday and tell her to play nice. But instead, I've decided to just take her off my Tivo and find something else to record at 4PM every day.
Geez Oprah. Some of us actually don't CARE if you like the book or NOT.
The Amityville Horror came out as "a true story" when it was presented as a book. I read three pages and said, "No, not true. No idiot would see THAT and still stay another night in the house." Still, it was entertaining. Which, most of the time, is why I read.

1 comment:

Forest Lady said...

Yes, good idea!