Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Time Flies...

When I was a teenager, I met a guy through one of my aunts. Their family was friends with her family, and even though they were in another state, a lot of visting was done back and forth between them. This was the summer I was fifteen, I think. Well, this guy was so cute, and we had it bad for each other for awhile. We even talked about getting married "when I was older" which seemed very far away. He joined the military and I don't remember exactly how it all feel apart, but my memory is we just sort of drifted apart through my high school years. However, he was my first love, and you know how you don't forget that. I still have all his letters and pictures, along with a lot of other stuff I've saved through the years. (Chances are if you ever gave me a card, I still have it.)
Well, his sister found me through classmates.com, and we have been writing, sharing stories of kids and grandkids, etc. She told me her brother is now "single again" and I told her I'm very happily married. We've exchanged a lot of pictures of our family.
Well, she sent me a pic of her brother now. For over thirty years, I had pictured him the way he looked then...which was like this...


and like this:



and like this (Yes, the girl in the pictures is me.)



Well, when she sent me his picture now, I sat and stared forever and my only thought is, Oh my, I must be old.
Here is him now.



I guess it's better to keep memories as memories. At least in them, I felt young.
And yes, if you're thinking that one picture looks like we were at a motel, we were. We shared adjoining rooms with his mom, dad, sister, my aunt, another aunt, two cousins, and us. So no hanky panky. I was such a good girl then. If I had it to do over, I'd jump his bones in a second. Can't believe I passed that up....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so does he look as cute to you now as he did then? I always wonder as we get older, do we still look as attractive to our person? Is David going to think I'm less attractive because I'm wrinkly and saggy, or am I always going to look like the young me. Or will he really even notice, since it's going to be so gradual, like he didn't really notice that I had lost weight because he sees me everyday.

Forest Lady said...

Amy, I think its very different when you see someone every day and when you see someone after a long time. I don't think my husband looks any different than he ever did, although I'm sure he probably does to other people. So does the old boyfriend still look as cute? I'll take the fifth on that one, Miss Attorney. ha.

Gillian said...

I've been so busy with work and haven't sent many comments, but thanks for taking us along on a trip with you through memory lane!