Monday, November 26, 2007

Rabbi, What Big Teeth You Have



We had a nice Thanksgiving, but we didn't get to spend it together as we usually would. My son's girlfriend had a cold, so my daughter couldn't bring the baby over, since her lungs are compromised from the CDH. My daughter stayed at my middle son's apt. We spent Saturday with the youngest son and his girlfriend, and Sunday with my daughter, granddaughter and middle son. We ate "real" carbs on Saturday for the first time in quite awhile. Mashed potatoes, fried peach pies. I don't think I have been missing anything.

I cooked all morning Saturday, and by the time everyone got here for lunch, I was burning up with a combination of cooking heat and hot flashes. I really had no appetite so just nibbled at lunch. My mom brought a German chocolate cake, which is still sitting in my kitchen, and I've not had one piece.
BUT, I did go buy some new jeans on Saturday, and I wear a size smaller than I did. That feels better than the chocolate cake would taste.

I saw the therapist today, and I told her I am totally intimidated by the Rabbi at our temple. I told her even though I'm fifty-one, I feel FIVE when I'm around him. Maybe he reminds me of my father, I don't know. But now that I've talked through it, I intend to not let him intimidate me anymore. How am I going to avoid that? I'm going to talk myself through whatever he says or does that causes me the anxiety, and figure out what to say or do to prevent it. Am I the only person that can think of great things to say to stand up for myself AFTER the situation is over? That is SO frustrating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about, I think of great comebacks all the time! Okay, mostly that's not true. Sometimes I do, though, I just won't say them. There was an old SNL episode once about this, and the guy got a time machine and traveled back in time so he would be ready with his witty comebacks. So there's your solution. =)