Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Shopped, Dropped, Thrilled


Well, I got inspired. From what? An Oprah show. You know I'm not crazy about Oprah, but I did appreciate the guy on there who showed women I identify with, finding a new look. You know those women.

The ones, like me, who would rather have on sweats or pajamas all day, who pray they can run out to the grocery without seeing anyone they know. Since I stopped working, it's becoming easier and easier to be that woman.

Well, I've lost some weight, my clothes are too big. I decided I needed to reward myself. But what to buy? My idea of clothes shopping is to buy what looks good on the mannequin. Then I get home, and I like maybe the pants from the outfit are great, but the sweater is too short or scratchy. So I never wear the sweater, but like the pants. So the pants join the rack of "stuff I like but nothing matches." My whole closet has the same story.

This guy on Oprah said all women need ten basic items to mix and match and look great with COMFORT. That's my favorite word. Comfort. (Of course, his basic ten seemed to grown to about twenty if you really paid attention to the show.) Ok....black pants. I have those. White and black turtlenecks...my hot flashing body ruled those out.

A bright colored trench coat to throw over jeans, or even a black dress. I needed one of those. I ordered a red one from Target. Showed the pic to my daughter who said it looked very "Audrey Hepburn." Hmmm...Anyway, it hasn't come yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it looks as good up close as I thought it did in the picture.

He said we need dark wash jeans. Not sandblasted, stonewashed, bleached, holed, or faded. DARK wash. And, get this. WHITE jeans. His exact words were "Size six or size sixteen, you need a pair of white jeans..Fresh...Cute...year round." Ok, I've never owned a pair of white jeans. But it sort of made sense to me. And I figured if my butt looks huge in them, I can cover it up with the red trench! So far, so good.

Crisp, white shirt. Ordered me two of them online. Then tees. Bought a white one, and a red one. A white denim jacket, which I ordered.

Guy says we need a white purse, which is fresh and year round. My husband took me shopping, and I came home with a black and white purse, a black purse, and a red purse. Plus a cute pair of black flats, just for good measure.

I never go shopping. My husband used to take his first wife clothes shopping all the time. He was happy when I asked him to go. So I tell him sort of what I'm looking for...white blouse....red tee, etc. He shows me a lot of things I don't like. Then he finds this one white blouse, to which I reply, "Hang on to that, and I'll try it on."
He gets this big smile, and says, "That's the first time in five years I've picked out any clothes you like." Awwwww. I felt bad. I bought that blouse, even though it ended up not being one of my favorites. But how could I not?

Anyway, this was my big shopping spree for the year, thanks to our tax refund and a sweet husband. Now I have all my new clothes on hangers, and all my new purses spread out on the kitchen table. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

And I learned that it's not just a figure of speech to say "shop till you drop." I have never been so pooped in my life. I came home and passed out on the couch and slept until time to go to bed. But it was so FUN!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pick out clothes based on the mannequins too! Mostly because I'm not good at figuring out tops to go with bottoms. Then just pray I don't pass the mannequin wearing the outfit.

The Tuckered One said...

Okay, I take back the comment about Audrey. I meant it as a good thing though.

My pants and tops go together because I'm boring and buy everything plain. And most of my pants are jeans :-)

I can't wait to see your new outfits and purses. Unfortunately my diaper bag has become my purse.

Freebird said...

Congrats on the weight loss. I always hated shopping when I was heavier. It was never about what I liked, but more about who fit.

During the week my book bag (a black tote) becomes my purse.