Thursday, November 04, 2010

Where did the year go?

It's been a long time since I've posted, but I guess that's obvious. So I thought I would write something to catch everyone up.
My granddaughter was born with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (hole in the diaphragm) and it re-herniated this year, so last month she had surgery to correct it. She developed a c-diff infection at the hospital, and then a urinary tract infection. The problem is the antibiotic for the UTI wipes out the good bacteria in her colon which allows the c-diff to flourish. She's taking an antibiotic for that too. So it's been, as my daughter put it "going around and around" trying to get her well. The doctor wanted to do a scan of her kidneys this week, but because her urine culture showed infection, he cancelled it for now.
I'm leaving Sat to go on a cruise with my son. We are driving to Mobile, and then sailing to Progresso and Cozumel. I've been on this cruise several times, so am not too excited over the ports, but I am looking forward to five days of not having to cook or clean. My husband has been out of town on business for the last three weeks. He will be home Saturday, but I won't see him until I get back from the cruise, as I will be leaving before he gets here.
Several of my friends have been going through big personal issues, but I seem to be doing pretty good in my life, even though our family has had several big issues ourselves. I feel very happy right now. The doc put me on a new antidepressant about six weeks ago, so that probably has a lot to do with the good
My husband and I went through some marriage counseling this year. We had grown apart and had really stopped sharing much of anything with each other. I think the counseling has improved things. We both are more accepting of each other's differences, and we have learned how to disagree and still be able to discuss it with each other, instead of holding resentments. We saw the same therapist that I had been seeing, but that was his idea. I was very happy to have her do it, as I didn't have to say a lot. She knows me and my background very well.

I started drawing about a month ago, and I started doing artist trading cards and trading them with people all over the world on atcsforall.com. It's been a lot of fun. Then a couple of weeks ago, I signed up for The Sketchbook Project, and I'm steadily trying to fill my sketchbook with graphite drawings before the Jan 15 deadline. I draw one, count the remaining pages, draw another, count...Deadlines drive me nuts. The theme for my book was "help" but they said you can be very liberal in interpreting that. So I'm doing mine on helping take care of the earth. On the first page, I drew an eye, crying, and the iris is Earth. Then the other sketches are of plants, animals, vegetables, etc. I plan to take it with me on the cruise so that I can work on it. I don't draw anything from memory, as my memory is not trustworthy these days....but I run off copies of photos I like from google images, and draw from them. I have found, though, in drawing people, it's much easier to draw from life than from a picture.
Let's see...my doctor is sending me to a plastic surgeon to see about having a repair done on my tummy. I've had four abdominal surgeries and my belly is not how it should be. We will see if the insurance will pay for this, and if not, I won't be having it. But if they do, I will be very glad about that.

I just ordered a new pair of flipflops from Amazon to take on the cruise (with overnight shipping) and paid $20. I still can't believe I paid 20 bucks for a pair of flipflops. (shaking head) but they are cute. And it is very hard to find flipflops this time of the year. But they are freaking flip flops!
My son bought us this little box for our tv that lets us watch netflix movies on the television. I've discovered "Weeds" and "Dexter" and am in the middle of catching up on past seasons. I don't watch much television, so miss a lot of the shows everyone already knows about.
My son and I went to Lowe Mill not long ago. They have artist studios and on Saturdays they are open for all local artists to come set up a booth. I love walking around and looking at all of it. It's three stories (in an old mill) and free admission. I plan to go back and take my husband to see it all when he gets home (and I do). Anyway, while I was there, I ran into a lady I knew from La Leche League back thirty years ago. She does abstract art, sort of Pollack style, but with really pretty colors. I am not too sure she remembered me, but she acted like she did.
I got a really bad haircut about six weeks ago, at the same place I've been going to for many years. It's a walk-in place with no appointments and I've always taken whoever was available. Well, they had some new hairdresser that was very vocal about being from Miami and being so up on the latest styles, and what she gave me looked like a mop on crack. So I let it grow as much as I could stand, then went back to get it cut again, and found out (thank goodness) that she had been fired. I was glad because I was afraid I'd have to limit my visits to that salon on days she was not there. Anyway, now it's really short, and although I bought hair color some time ago that is sitting in the bathroom cabinet, is almost completely gray now. I saw a picture of a lady with long gray hair and again, I wish I could let my hair grow out like that, but it never will when I keep getting it cut. ha. I hate it in the "in between stages."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, I didn't know all this from Facebook! You need to post more. You know you online folks are the only friends that I have.

I'm glad you guys went to marriage counseling. I want this one to work for you!

I really think you should save and cruise to Alaska and make sure you include a stop in Anchorage. We can meet and go the bakery and have cupcakes and coffee and not talk, and then blog about how awesome it was!

Forest Lady said...

Sounds like a plan!

Gillian said...

I agree with Amy--you should post more. Facebook is so "public!"

Glad the counseling seemed to help. It sounds like you have moved in a very positive direction with many things you are doing.

You are such a great writer--

Cathy Meyer said...

Amy, she comes within 30 miles of me every time she visits her daughter. I haven't met her yet and if she plans a cruise to Alaska to meet you I'm going to be pissed.

Kathy, I had to search down my blogger login information. It has been so long since I've posted or even read a blog.

I'm glad you are back to writing. FB is good but there is nothing like being able to catch up on the real nitty gritty. So, glad to see you are blogging again.

All sounds well with you. Sounds like you've got a firm handle on life and are getting plenty of enjoyment out of it. I say onward and upward!