Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I've got rhythm....I've got music.....I've got my guy, who could ask for anything more?

I went to my music class. My teacher had each of us play something. Then he told me I was "just banging away at the strumming" and "had no rhythm", and that I played like his wife, who "does the same thing" (she was sitting there, too). Ok, so I thought maybe last week I was being overly sensitive. However, even my husband agreed that he was picking on me and that it was uncalled for, and that he had noticed several times he picked on his wife the same way, and that maybe this guy is just an asshole. Which I'm sure he is. I mean I was a teacher, and there's one thing I know, and that is you don't teach anyone anything by discouraging them. Criticism like, "I can tell you're really trying, and you're improving. Why don't we try this..." works fine.
Now my feelings are really hurt. And I don't think there's anyone who wants to learn to play this more than I do. Tonight was our first intermediate class and we've paid for five of them, but I'm seriously considering not going back. I mean I'll never learn from him if I'm being put down every time I go.

No comments: