Friday, February 04, 2005

Making Plans

We have some interesting plans coming up in the next few months. Later this month, we are going to Iuka, MS to a State Park for a dulcimer festival. We got reservations at the Lodge there. We know some people who have attended this one, and they say it's wonderful. They give a lot of free classes at the festivals, so I'm sure we'll learn a lot. We have a lot to learn!
My husband's dulcimer had some problems with one of the frets, and although the builder worked on it several times, it still sounded funky, so he took it back and swapped it for another one. Of course, I wouldn't tell him, but he picks the ones I would never look at twice to choose from. He likes the ones with character, he says, the ones with some distinguishing marks, weird grain patterns, holes in strange places (he says they are natural sound holes). The one he chose this time has a really rough light patch of grain on the back (shaking head). BUT I have to admit, it sounds great. And if he didn't have a big heart for the underdog dulcimers, he might not have ever chosen me either, so that tells you what kind of guy he is.
He bought my Valentine's Day present yesterday. It's a bowed psaltery , like the ones shown here. It has hummingbirds and vines. It's made of sweet gum wood on the back and sides and has an oak top.
Then the end of this month, we're going to Savannah with my daughter and son-in-law to see my youngest son, who's a DJ there. I've never been to Savannah but they say on the food channel that in Savannah, you can toss a rock anywhere and hit a good restaurant. My kind of town. I love Paula's Home Cooking show and her restaurant is there, too.
In March, we have another dulcimer festival, this one in Montgomery. Then in May we're going to Panama City Beach to eat seafood and walk the beach.
So even though I haven't set any personal long term goals for myself, I still have a lot of things to look forward to.
Oh, I posted my resume on Monster.com and got a letter from a headhunter. How about that. Do I want to go back to work? I don't know. I don't think my husband wants me to. He says it will put us in a higher tax bracket and mess us up tax-wise. He thinks we didn't get as big a refund this year because of the months I worked. He's probably right about that. They didn't take out enough tax on me because my income was on the lower end, and then it goes in the pot with his which is taxed way higher.
Enough about that.

No comments: