Saturday, April 02, 2005

Diary of a Mad Housewife

I have a friend I used to work with, who cleans houses on the side. When I was working, I used to have her come clean my house sometimes. I've had different cleaning ladies through the years, but not many really did a good job. Not so with this one. She's awesome. For example, she sweeps the kitchen, mops it, runs new mopping solution and then mops again. Then after the floor dries, she sweeps it again. So I admit that's a little excessive from what I would do, but it results in the absolutely cleanest house you've ever seen when she's finished.
Well I'm not working now, so I started thinking about having her come, not because I can't do it myself, because I do. But because NO ONE, not even me, can get it as clean as her, and all of it done AT THE SAME TIME. You know how great it is to have the whole house spotless at the same time. At least it is GREAT to me.
I have some money of my own that I don't have to ask my husband for. And I decided I'd like to spend it having her clean the house. So I called, and the good news is she's coming to clean. But the bad news is, the only day she had free was next Saturday. My husband and son are home on Saturdays, which meant I had to come clean to my husband about calling her. This was very hard for me. I'm not sure why. I guess I worried what he would think I did all day, if I needed a cleaning lady to come.
But I overcame all that, and told him. He said, "That's a good idea to have her come clean. I've noticed things aren't quite as clean as they used to be. There's quite a bit of dust on the computer desk, and the shower stall needs a good cleaning." All of this was said as we were walking across the parking lot going into WalMart. So he said it was fine for her to come. That is what I wanted. But then I was devastated that he thought I wasn't doing a good job as a wife on my housecleaning. So I walked through WalMart feeling TERRIBLE. Of course, I didn't say anything to him about it. After all, I got what I wanted.
Today, I mentioned again to my son, in front of my husband, that the cleaning lady is coming next weekend, so he needs to get his room straightened up before she comes so she can get in there and vacuum, dust etc. My son said, "I don't know why you don't have her come all the time. Why do something yourself you can pay someone else to do?" Geez, I love that kid.
So the cleaning lady is coming. I feel like a failure as a wife. And I've got one week to clean out drawers and toss the clutter and get ready for a brand spanking clean house when she comes.

No comments: