Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Biddies on a Bench

Interesting experience at the doctor's office today. I went back to the lab to get my lab work done. They have a bench that can seat about three, and then another one farther on down the hall. I walked back there, and there were two women sitting close together on the first bench, then there was a space, then three guys standing very close to that end talking. I just sort of assumed that the men were there with the women, and I didn't want to walk in between them to sit. My antisocialness had a good excuse and I went farther down the hall and sat on the other bench. I heard the first lady say to the second one, "What's wrong with HER?" The second one replied, "I don't know. I guess she sure didn't want to sit with us." The first one said, "Well I guess she can just be that way" and they both turned and sneered at me. Now I would usually worry about it, what they thought, and decide I had made someone not like me. But today, I just found it amusing. I was tempted to just get up and sit by them and say, "I overheard you. Glad you wanted me to sit here" and then start hacking up a lung just to see the look on their faces. For all they know, I could be at the doctor's for some contagious disease that they were saved from exposure of. Or I could feel I need more "personal space" than some people do. I had a boss who liked to walk up and stand a little too close, and I'd always back away. Then he'd look at me strangely. But he never said anything and I never discussed it with him. It's funny. We make so many assumptions and probably half of them are wrong. Maybe more than half.

No comments: