Monday, May 23, 2005

Beaches, Dumb Doctors, and Real Estate

I went to the doctor last week and he found a "shadow" on my chest exam. After he told me we needed a cat scan to further investigate, his final parting words as he left the examining room were, "Let's just keep our fingers crossed." Not very comforting or reassuring but I forgave him. Then I have my cat scan done today. After arguing with the nurse about giving me the iodine dye after having a severe allergic reaction to it in the past, she finally decided that just giving me a dose of Benedryl before the test might not be a good enough precaution, and due to my insistance, decided to ask the radiologist. He said NO DYE.
So I have it done and I tried to forget about it. Until my mother called and wanted to know how it turned out. I told her I figured they would call me this afternoon, and I'd let her know. Well I waited and waited and finally decided to check in with the doctor's office. I got the answering service and they informed me the office is closed ALL WEEK, the doctor is OUT OF TOWN, and I can check back NEXT WEEK. He failed to impart that information when he told me to keep my fingers crossed. Maybe he didn't mean keep them crossed you don't have cancer, and meant keep them crossed on not dying of anxiety waiting over a week for the results because he'd be out of town. Anyway. Bellyaching won't tell me anything any sooner. So I've decided that 1) chances are in my favor that it is either scar tissue or calcium deposits or something benign and 2) worrying about it won't keep it from being either good or bad news. However, being pissed at the doctor makes me feel a whole hell of a lot better.
We went to Panama City Beach last week and came home yesterday. We ate coconut shrimp, drank pina coladas, sat under the beach umbrella and watched the ocean, played Scrabble (hadn't done that in years) and also celebrated my birthday with chocolate cake and an "over the hill" candle. I didn't have any dizzy spells from the Meniere's while I was there. I felt really good four days out of the five, and the day I felt bad, I laid around and took naps.
It was good to get away.
When my husband and I married, he moved in my townhome, and he just listed his house on the market (lot of memories, he took his time sorting through all his stuff) last week. Today he got a call and had FOUR offers. We took the best one, which means he got his asking price and we close in three weeks. So he's thrilled to be out from under that mortgage. No MORE MORTGAGES No CAR PAYMENTS. We can just save for our retirement. We talked about buying a travel trailer when he retires. My daughter asked an interesting question, "Where would you go in it?" I guess I need a list of possible destinations. Might make hitting the open road easier if we had some clue as to where we were headed. ha.

No comments: