Saturday, June 04, 2005

Lost One Somewhere.....

"Now where did I put that?" That's a common thing for me to say lately. It's followed closely by "What did I come in here to get?" and "There was something I was suppose to remember....hmm..."
Yesterday I started a post on this blog. I saved it as a draft. Today it's gone. Now that's not the bad part. The bad part is I really liked that post, but I don't remember what it was about!
Yes, I have CRS disease (can't remember shit) and lately I think it's advanced.
However, to my credit, I did manage to finish another story yesterday, ran it through my two critics (husband and daughter), changed a few things and sent it on. I submitted it to two publishers and now we'll see. I think it's one of my better ones. I went it about differently from my normal pattern.
I decided I had to write one about "women in midlife" because a couple of books had a "stories wanted" feeler out about that subject. And who better to write about THAT than ME. So I decided to spend a couple of days thinking about it. The other morning, the alarm went off WAY TOO EARLY. And I'm lying there, mad, because I can't go back to sleep even though I am still tired, and it comes to me! THE idea for this story. (yes I wrote it down quickly before I forgot). Then I spent all morning yesterday doing research BEFORE I WROTE. Usually I write and then research and go back and fill in correct facts. I also did my "snippets" beforehand. I used to call it that in college. It's a cheat sheet of idioms or descriptive terms I want to use in whatever I am writing. Things like "as the dog thump-thumped his tail against the wood floor boards" or "the hot skillet hissed as it was eased into the sudsy water" etc etc.
Then I sat down to write. And it flowed so much easier. And I finished it and declared it to my my very favorite. So I submitted it to both editors and we'll see....
I've decided if I spend each weekday writing and submitting, then sooner or later, receiving checks will get to be a regular activity too! I read an article by Stephen King. He said he never worried much about the critics, because by the time they said what they had to say, his check had already been cashed. ha. Amen Stephen.
I LOVE the laptop, after I figured out cutting my fingernails off short made it so much easier to type.
And the best news of the day! My CAMERA IS FINALLY ON IT'S WAY and I can share with all of you some of the awesome places and things I love around here.
Have a great weekend.

No comments: