Thursday, June 09, 2005

Getting Drunk without Drinking

I thought the ear surgery had helped with the Meniere's but now I have a totally different problem. Before surgery, I had vertigo, which was a sensation that the world was spinning around me and the nausea that goes with that, but I could still walk around without falling. After surgery, it is dizziness from lack of balance. I get up and feel like I'm falling. I stagger and feel like someone is tipping the world to throw me off. I hate this, and so today I haven't left my recliner. I guess I'll have to call the doctor back tomorrow.
My days have become a routine of writing, editing, and submissions. I manage to submit a minimum of one story a day, but most of the time it's two or three submissions. I'm finding more and more markets. I also read the stories that were selected, or excerpts from them, and I think my writing is at least as good as those. I also went back and re-read some of the stories I had written from the 98-99 time frame, and I'm much better than I was then. (I edited them, added to them, and actually submitted some of those, but I still have a lot to learn). My friend, Cathy, sent a story of hers and I was so happy to be given the opportunity to make a few suggestions, and also tell her of a market I found that I think would be perfect for her story about picking cotton as a young girl.
I have picked cotton, but it was one day when I was about five, and my dad stopped the car on the side of the road to let us get out and pick a couple of bolls of cotton. I was very disappointed that cotton doesn't come out of the boll feeling like a cotton ball, but it is full of hard seeds.
Those seeds are a devil to pick out by hand, too.
This weekend my husband is taking me to the Grotto in Cullman to take some pics with my new camera. It's beautiful there. They have the prettiest magnolia trees I've ever seen.
I found a ceramic shop near Birmingham where you pick out a piece of pottery, paint it with paints they provide, and then leave it to be fired. My daughter and I are going to make it a girls' day out and do that one Saturday soon. It's only been a couple of weeks since we went to Panama City with her and her husband and I miss her already. I wish she lived closer.
My husband has the day off tomorrow, so I guess I won't be blogging again until Monday. If anyone is reading this, have a great weekend.

No comments: