Saturday, August 27, 2005

Not Sick, But Tired

I'm not used to the busy pace of working 9-5 anymore. It's getting better but I come home exhausted every day. Catching up on sleep on the weekends is something I look forward to. However, lately I've been having strange dreams and I wake up more tired than when I went to bed. Last night, something evil chased me. The night before, I dreamed I was having a very long, very emotionally charged conversation with an old boyfriend. The thing with this was, this was a guy I don't argue with normally. In fact, we got along really good, and were friends for years with our off and on relationship. So where this draining conversation came from, I have no idea.
People seem to handle stress in different ways. I tend to block things out pretty well. If something is hard for me to deal with, rather than talk it out, I run. It's my "take the easy way to the nearest exit" survival technique, and is much easier than the more mature "stay in there until it's resolved" tactic. I realize I do that, and it's something I am working on. However, having this coping mechanism means I have left a long laundry list of things in my life unresolved. Friends I wish I'd kept in contact with, family members I just can't deal with enough to resume relationships, and a lot of things I should have said but never did.
Working with nurses all day who deal with dying patients, one thing is certain. People who are dying usually do a sort of life review, and the unresolved relationships are where the regrets are. Not the big deal I didn't take that could have netted big bucks, or the job I turned down that would have been great, but it's the people I should have told, "I love you and thank you for the memories we made together" but didn't.
I've heard when people go through 12-step programs they are told to go back and make amends to people they have hurt. I think that would be the one thing that would be harder than anything. Maybe that's how they get people off their addictions, by having them do things that are even more difficult to deal with.
If it seems like I'm rambling, blame it on the lack of sleep. :-)

1 comment:

Freebird said...

It's kind of silly when you think about it because sometimes grudges are usually over silly things.