Sunday, August 07, 2005

Working and Kids

I guess I see now why some people have a hard time with retirement. When you work, you think about the things you could be doing if you didn't work. When you stay home, you don't seem to able to think of enough things to keep yourself occupied and you miss working.
My first two days went great. I have a great desk, a large bookcase. My new computer is due in next week some time. Most of the things on my job description I understand. The ones I don't should be covered by the trainer coming in from Dallas. All my co-workers seem very nice, and some stopped by to tell me how glad they were to work with me.
I feel needed at work. I feel like I am accomplishing something that really does help other people. So as my youngest son says, "It's all good."
My middle son has a girlfriend and she's coming to see him for a weekend soon. We haven't met her, so my husband suggested we might take the two of them out to eat one night while she is here. So I told my son we'd like to do that. And he said, "No." I said, "Why not?" He said,"Because I'd end up having to say something to you." I said, "Say something to me about what?" He said, "Your being you." I was hurt, and even a day later, I still feel hurt. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder with me sometimes. I know I wasn't a perfect mother to him growing up, working, going to school full time, raising the three of them by myself and trying to have some sort of a social life. He seems to resent that. I just don't know what to do. I'm just deeply hurt. That's about it. Job's going good, some family things are not.

No comments: