Tuesday, August 02, 2005

You Don't Send Me Flowers....Anymorrrrrre

When my husband and I were dating, he sent me flowers every week at work. The girls at work used to tease me about how I'd better enjoy it because after marriage, it all stops. I assured them he would not stop it just because we married.
Then we married in March of 2003, and he still continued to bring home flowers. However, they became a little less frequent than once a week. But a funny thing happened. As time went on and I spent my time clipping stems and arranging flowers, I began to enjoy them less and less. Of course, I always acted appreciative and mentally kicked myself for feeling the way I did. I mean what girl wouldn't be thrilled to get flowers that often?
As we walked through the grocery store the other night, we passed the flower arrangements in the case, and he leaned over and asked, "Would you like some flowers?"
I realized when he said this that it's been awhile. How long, I really don't remember. I know I got some around my birthday but that was in May.
I shrugged and said, "Not really." I decided it was time to be honest.
He looked puzzled and said, "Why? Because I asked instead of just surprising you?"
I said, "No, just don't want any right now."
I guess I should have said something else, but I really didn't know what. He looked totally confused and I realized this must be one of those moments men talk to their buddies about.
All of a sudden she said she didn't want flowers, when she's always loved them. What gives?
After we got home, I thought about telling him I was sorry and I'd really love it if he got me flowers, but by then, I figured I'd blown it.
Maybe the flowers were too much of a good thing. I don't know.
I'd love to get a love letter though.

No comments: