Saturday, August 20, 2005

You Want to do WHAT???

Ok, today's subject is a controversial one. Recently, I saw a rerun from the King of Queens where they had bought a new bed, and until it arrived, they had to sleep in twin beds. The amazing (?) thing was, they grew to love the twin beds, which surprised them both. However, it sure upset their friends and it was assumed twin beds meant marital difficulty...
I have always enjoyed every part of being married except sleeping together. No I don't mean sex. I mean sleeping (ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....). I've been married a few times now folks, so it's not just sleeping with one specific person that bothers me. It's sleeping with ANY person.
We grow up having our own beds. At night we settle down to sleep and it's a peaceful thing. If we want to roll up in the covers or throw them off the bed, it's our choice. No one has to worry about tossing and turning. If you do, you only bother yourself. If you want to turn over a thousand times or plump up the pillow a thousand times, it's fine when you aren't bothering anyone.
However, sleeping together, you hesitate doing any of those things. My husband realizes I have a problem, and if we go to sleep at the same time, he goes right to sleep and I never do, so he sits up and watches tv later until I get to sleep, then sneaks in. Of course, the first time I wake up during the night, I am usually unable to get back to sleep. Sometimes I get up and sleep on the couch or in the guest room. Most of the time, I just lie there and think about how exhausted I will be at work the next day.
Why is it society thinks twin beds mean problems in the marriage, and why do we worry about what anyone thinks? Sex doesn't have to stop because you don't sleep in the same bed. Heck, we had sex when we didn't even sleep in the same house! Twin beds seems to be a big taboo. Couples are afraid to talk to each other about it. If they do get twin beds, they don't want anyone to know (Oh my God, honey, you've got twin beds! When did the trouble begin?)
Well I'm getting on my soap box today to say sleepless married folks, unite! Maybe Lucy and Ricky and Rob and Laura slept in twin beds, not because of the censors, but because it was more comfortable! ha.
I want a twin bed! My own bed. With my clean crisp sheets that don't get crumpled up or wadded up or tossed about. Where I can stretch out or curl up, or wiggle and turn all night if I want to! I want to be able to get to sleep and not have to worry about someone else turning over and waking ME up. Have I told my husband any of this? No, of course not....he'd think we were having marital problems.......

1 comment:

Freebird said...

Yeah, first you don't want flowers (gasp!) and now you want to sleep n your own bed. Woman, are you crazy?! :-P Hubby would freak.