Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Soup Temper Tantrum

All of you have been so faithful to keep reading even though lately I've mostly had the "office from hell" stories everyday.
Well today I have TWO. (I promise these will be ending soon when I quit).
A nurse they hired (I worked with her at another company before this one) quit today. She's been working THREE weeks. She said it didn't take her long to size up this office, and she told the manager, "You have no management skills, you've caused division among all the workers, you've put people who are ill-equipped into positions of power and they abuse it, and I just refuse to sit here another day in this sinking ship, because this business doesn't stand a chance."
She said everything I wanted to say but would never have the courage to say. Now I can quit and feel good because at least they got TOLD.
Second story...one of the women who was ill-equipped for her position of power, found out I was going to get a take out plate for lunch, and announced she wanted me to get her something too. After she did, several other people also had orders. No problem. One of the other girls offered to go with me to get it to help. Miss Ill-Equipped griped over the menu for awhile, and then finally decided to get broccoli cheese soup. I went into her office and ordered it all on the phone with her reading me the orders. We went to picked up the food. It was in a big cardboard box, with each person's food in a separate bag stapled at the top. We get back to the office, everyone sits down and begins eating and she looks at her's and says, This is NOT Broccoli CHEESE soup. This is POTATO soup. I don't eat potatoes. I said, "Oh I'm sorry. You heard me order the right kind. I guess they mixed it up. You're welcome to share mine. I have more than I'll ever eat." She glared at me and stood up, pushing her chair up against the wall and stormed past me muttering, "I guess I'll just have to go back and change it myself!"
Well everyone cut their eyes at each other but no one said anything. We went on eating. By the time she got back, we were done and cleaning up our mess. She plopped her "soup" down on the table and said, "Wonderful! Now you're all done, aren't you, and I have to eat my lunch by MYSELF. That's just wonderful!" Then she plopped down and glared at me again. By now I'm feeling really bad that she is mad at me. I happened to see her open her "exchanged soup" and that wasn't broccoli cheese soup either. But I wasn't going to get through her glare to ask her about it. She refused to speak to me all afternoon. I'm beginning to think these people are totally nuts.

1 comment:

Freebird said...

That lady sounds like a real nutjob!