Monday, January 16, 2006

Cowboys, Banjos and Stomach Flu


My husband had the day off today, and I thought it would be a good day to get out and do something together. I had spotted a few antique stores the other day out on a highway we'd not been down lately, and so we planned to clean up the house some and head out for a day of browsing.
Unfortunately, some stomach bug had other plans for me, and I got sick all at once when I was trying to get a shower. So most of the day I've either slept or sacked out in the recliner. I feel like a limp dishrag.
My son went to see Hostel. I can't believe he'd actually want to see that. It made me sick just to watch the preview. I'm glad I Walk the Line won the golden globe award. I liked that movie.
I want to see Brokeback Mountain but being in the bible belt, there's not much chance of it ever coming to North Alabama. I don't know why I want to see it. Maybe to understand homosexuality better. I never quite understood that. I know I am naive. When my first husband and I got invited to a cookout with some of our neighbors many, many years ago, we ended up going over with some other couples to visit these two guys who lived together. I had to use the restroom and saw Playgirl magazines with pictures of naked men. I told my husband about it, and he said, Yeah, they're gay. I said Nuh huh! He laughed because I was so naive about it.
I think I'm pretty open-minded about most things. I try not to judge other people. I think we each answer for the things we do based on our intentions. I've also taken a more realistic and less idealistic view of the world as I got older. But like I said, it probably won't ever come here, so I ordered the book!
I'm going to tomorrow to play with a dulcimer group. I told my husband at a jam the other day I want a banjimer, a dulcimer with a banjo face, that is played like a dulcimer and sounds like a banjo. A lady overheard me and said she had one for sale for $175, and my hubby said, "Ok, bring it to her when you see her on Tuesday, and I'll send you a check!" I asked him if I have to wait to play it until Christmas, and he laughed and asked when had I ever waited on anything!
I'm really excited about it. I hope it's as easy to play as everyone says it is.....

1 comment:

A Girl From Texas said...

I live in a part of Houston that is known for its Gay population. I have two gay colleagues and some very good gay friends.

The existence of hermaphrodites indicates somewhere as the initial sexual stamp occurs, if it all doesn't develop as it is supposed to, things go astray. Most people don't know that boys are girls first, then the "y" chromosome kicks in....that is why men have nipples.