Sunday, January 22, 2006

Late Nights, Lost Books, Singing in the Rain


Long weekend. My middle son broke up with his girlfriend Friday after talking to me and hubby until 330 AM about it the night before. My daughter and son-in-law were thoughtful enough to come down on Friday night to offer moral support, which I think helped a lot.
I am exhausted and scattered. I am going through one of those times when everything is piled in my head flying around but I can't seem to figure out what to do minute to minute. This is either PMS, menopause or temporary insanity. ha.
I watched Brokeback Mountain. A----hum......(clearing throat) Ok, I don't want to offend anyone but since this is a forum for me to be completely honest, here goes. First the disclaimer--I know I don't fully understand the entire gay community from watching one movie. Having said that, based on that movie, it seems that men don't care about falling in love first, or even in like. They can hate each other and still want to do it. Often. Hit each other in the mouth with a fist and then turn around and do it again. And according to this movie, they can also be gay and still be able to function with a woman sexually. This movie confirmed my belief that any guy can be gay because it's just about having some place to stick it that they aren't suppose to. Maybe this somehow explains the terror most men I know feel when they are faced with any hint of homosexuality because they fear that when their thingie takes over and the ol' brain shuts down they might come to their senses and realize they put it somewhere they didn't plan on it being.
I lost my bookclub book, just found it, and am behind on my reading. I still haven't read chapter two but will catch up this week.
During the Christmas break, guests using the shower off the master bedroom asked why our water pressure was so low. I'm a person who becomes conditioned easily. I have to be freezing to notice I'm cold and need a sweater. I hadn't noticed the trickle of water until it was mentioned. Turned out the head was clogged and after a failedn effort to soak it in vinegar to unstop it, we went out and bought a new one, one of those big round ones with a billion holes that feels like rain. I LOVE IT. I feel totally spoiled. Doesn't take much for me.
We cancelled our cruise plans for April. Just decided we'd rather not go away for that long, but would rather take some shorter trips nearer to home. Where, we don't know yet.
We're going to take son tonight to see Munich. It got good reviews, hopefully better than Brokeback.

4 comments:

emily said...

I've heard that there are thousands of gay people who live straight lives, for any number of reasons. And since this movie was set back a few decades ago, I'd imagine it was even more the case then.

I thought the two fell in love right away, and Ennis just didn't want to be in love with the guy/didn't want to be gay, so that's where the violence came in. I saw it as more of a fight with himself than it was a fight with Jack.

Freebird said...

There's a phrase for men who are in relationships with women yet seek out men on the side. It's called "being on the down low." There was an entire segment about it on Oprah a while back and it's startling how many men do this yet don't consider themselves gay.

I really enjoyed Brokeback Mountain. I thought it was a great love story. I just think it shows that relationships can be very complicated as much as they can be beautiful. I also believe he was struggling with his sexuality. While one of them wanted to move forward, get a ranch of their own and be happy, the other one strongly opposed it because he knew it wasn't socially accepted at the time.

Did you notice that throughout the entire movie they were happiest when they were together despite the fights? The part that sticks with me is when one of the guys likened being married to his wife as "being stuck with her" or something to that effect which is actually pretty sad. I did feel for the wife, but she knew early on what was going on between them, but chose to look away (for whatever reasons).

Forest Lady said...

Ok, a lot of people had a different opinion than me on the movie, and I realized maybe my perspective is a little prejudiced, because I was seriously involved with a man once who admitted he had been with a man and after his admission, I never felt the same way about him. In fact, I was disgusted. He swore he wasn't gay. No way. No how. Uh hummmm....

Freebird said...

Doesn't surprise me since our experiences shape who we are. I hate the sound of someone opening a coke can using that metal pull tab thingie. My ex was a heavy drinker and anytime I hear that sound it bugs me.