Monday, January 23, 2006

Pass me the Crayons!!


I admit I'm always behind the loop. I can be talking to my kids and start my sentence with "Did you know that now someone has invented this thing that...." and they roll their eyes because they know I am talking about some gadget I've seen that the rest of the world has been using for years. But I just caught onto something else that I LOVE, that is an "old fad" by now--scrapbooking and cardmaking!
Let me tell you why I love this. It gives grown women an excuse to have multiple pairs of brightly colored kindergarten sized scissors, to have and use millions of stickers, rubber stamps, glue, and you get to color with colored pencils! It's like a re-run of elementary school art class and I love it. I found out that the lady who rides with me to dulcimer on Tuesdays is a distributor for "Stampin' Up", which I had never heard of. It's like a "tupperware lady" who sells rubber stamps and supplies. So I asked her, "What do people do with all these rubber stamps?" And she told me. And then Hobby Lobby put their rubber stamps on sale for half off, and I spent my gift certificates there, and at WalMart. Then today I moved my desk and removed all the "writers stuff" and put out "art stuff" and I made cards all morning. This is so cool!
I was so uninformed about scrapbooking. I heard women were making these pages to put their family pictures swathed in construction paper and I thought, I don't need that. My pictures are just fine in the shoebox. But now I know it's not about the pictures! It's just about getting to cut and color and do fun stuff.
My husband shakes his head. Yes, Honey, I was just into jewelry and bought all this jewelry stuff, and now I've switched. But I still like that too. And it's like his coin collecting and model war plane building, it's just fun. And we all need to be a kid sometimes!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Just surfed on in using a Stampin' Up search...had to say, I found this post amusing!

I was just like you...what IS a Stampin' Up lady? Well, I became one, too...and have been addicted to scrapbooking and stamping now for over 7 years. I no longer sell SU, but still an avid scrapper and designer for an online scrap store.

It's a passion (not a hobby!) that you'll NEVER outgrow, get bored of, or dislike!

Welcome to the scrappin'/stampin' world!

Freebird said...

Sounds like fun. I wish I had the time. :-(