Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Better than Cathy's Drop Dead Fred, Almost


I know ya'll are going to read this, and say it must be something I made up. But if you don't believe me, you can ask Plumbtuckered. She'll vouch for me.
I started cooking at age nine when I first made Scalloped Potatoes from a Cooking for Kids Cookbook, and I've cooked ever since....so that makes about forty years.

When I first married at seventeen, we were lucky to have enough money to buy hamburger and chicken, and I learned to make thousands of hamburger and chicken dishes, with plenty of pasta and rice to stretch them out. My point is, I didn't have much in the way of state of the art kitchen equipment to use. However, I did have a grater and a knife. (I'm still using the same grater I have had since seventeen.)
I used my grater to grate cheese and the knife to do everything else.

Now and then people use my kitchen to cook, like when my daughter and son-in-law come. They are both pretty good cooks, and make a mean spaghetti. My son-in-law once asked where I kept my food processor, to which I handed him the hand-held stainless steel grater. He just shook his head.... So that year, when they asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I said, well, you could get me a food processor. And they did.

I was so happy with it at Christmas, nice new shiny food processor in a box. After Christmas, I sat it in the dining room, and there the box sat for a month or so. Then I unpacked it, and it sat on the counter for awhile. I'd get ready to make dinner, and either forget I had it and grab the grater, or else I'd look at it and think it would be much easier to wash that small grater then all the parts to the food processor. So after awhile, with limited kitchen space in a townhome, I got into my wild decluttering mode, and told my husband to go donate it to the thrift store by our house. He did.

Well then after I got over my cleaning frenzy, I started thinking about my daughter and SIL coming to the house and wondering why I didn't have it, and I starting feeling very bad for getting rid of it. I hoped I wouldn't get discovered, and they never did. So a few years pass, and I went to Tuesday Morning to get this Kitchenaid Stand Mixer that was on sale. When I bought it, a fellow shopper said " I used my mixer all the time, and when my daughter got married, she borrowed it and hasn't brought it back, so I'm getting another. It's great. I love it almost as much as my food processor...."

She planted the seed, and that coupled with my guilt had me bidding on one on Ebay the next day. It came, nice, new, and went on my counter. My husband just smiled.
That was over a year ago. Never used it. Today I decide to make some au gratin potatoes and got out my knife to peel and slice. Got 'em all peeled and thought I might just give that food processor a whirl at slicing them. (Husband does dishes now.)
Oh MY GOD. I did in five seconds what it would have taken me ten minutes to do by hand. Duh. I'm getting modernized now people, a little at a time!!

2 comments:

emily said...

I've had a food processor for at least 5 years and have never used it. Ever. I bought it orginally thinking that I'd make homemade, natural baby food using fresh fruits and vegetables. I didn't. I still feel bad about that.

The Tuckered One said...

I've never used a food processor before, so I don't know what I'm missing. I never would have noticed that you got rid of the one we gave you for Christmas had you not told me :-)