Thursday, March 02, 2006

And it Magically Appeared!


I've always been an introvert. When others get recharged by being with others, that makes me drained, and the only way I can recharge is some time alone. I don't go to the socials our homeowners association gives. I have lived in this townhome since 2000, and it was built in 1997. Recently, as I've written, we got a leak in the roof and had to call in roofers. When they got up there, they found that our roof was leaking around the dormer because some of the siding on the dormer was rotted and needed to be replaced, as well as repairing the roof. No problem. Work got done. Everyone happy. Everyone it seems, but one of my anonymous neighbors.
Tonight, around 8 PM, we had a visitor, a poor little sheepish looking man holding a stack of papers. He informed us that one of our neighbors said we violated the rules of the townhome association, and a special meeting was held by the architectural committee to discuss our situation, and he was elected to come and tell us we were not allowed to ADD a dormer to our roof without their permission.
I explained that our upper floor did not magically appear, but has always been the thing up the stairs. And likewise, our dormer has always been there, too. However, because of a roof leak, we had it repaired, some siding replaced, etc. The repairs took a day and half. (I'd love to see someone tear a hole in the roof, frame out a dormer, and finish it out, rebuild the roof around it, and get it done in a day and half!) He looked very tired, and said he would go back and tell them, and he apologized. But I had a feeling he was not quite sure we hadn't built a dormer that had never been there, and how could we have a dormer up there for seven years and yet this neighbor never noticed?
Well after he left, I found the proposal we got from the roofers, along with their business card, and it listed all the repairs that were done. I ran a copy of this, and drafted a letter telling them basically, here's your evidence. Then I ended the letter by saying, "I've lived right here for six years. I pay my homeowners dues faithfully, have never complained about anything, follow the rules and mind my own business. I suggest the person who complained about this try to mind their's."
We put it in an envelope and addressed it to the committee and left it for them at the office.
Maybe my daughter is right, we need a house!

1 comment:

Freebird said...

You would still be subject to that stuff in a house. When I had my house I had to get permission as to what color of paint I wanted to use when repainting. I agree with Cathy, some people need to get a life.