Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Life and Other Modern Inconveniences


My fiftieth birthday is in May. I figured out today that I can officially join AARP and also qualify for a Lifelong Learning Program at a local college where you can take courses for a flat 40 dollars per semester (as many classes as you want.) They are the kind of classes that most continuing ed classes include, some foreign languages, yoga, etc etc. I'm really getting excited about the idea of going back to school and taking some things I'm interested in.
I always loved college. I think it gave me a big healthy dose of self esteem I hadn't had before. When I got there, I figured out I wasn't as dumb as some people had told me I was. It was fun to me. Of course, as the pressure escalated, and I got into my senior year, doing student teaching, senior projects, two classes, exams, working full time, and being a single mom, it wasn't quite as much fun. ha. But all in all I love school. I love wandering the bookstores buying the books, picking out pens and pencils and notebooks, the whole thing. I never even minded being the old one in the classes. Being older makes you feel wiser than the younger ones, even when you're not. So I'm looking forward to the idea of going back and taking some classes. Fifty has its advantages.
I realized this week just how "flighty" I am lately. I go from one thing to another to another. Nothing seems to keep my attention for long until I'm looking into the next thing. I've gone from jewelry making to scrapbooking, to drawing, to painting, to studying different religions to writing to etc etc etc. You get the idea. I asked my husband what he though of all this. Did he think I was nuts? ADD? He replied that he just figured I was trying to find things I liked to do, and part of that process was trying all kinds of new things, and he thought that was great. Not one time did he mention the money I've spent trying to pursue all this other stuff. That's why I married the man. He's kind.
Also turning fifty has another advantage. I found out my kids have planned a surprise trip (that is no longer a surprise) to Florida for my birthday. We get to eat seafood and lay on the beach and drink Pina Coladas and listen to Jimmy Buffett music. I'm getting out my Hawaiian print blouses so I can fit right in. ha. Really, I'm glad I have that to look forward to. I think it will be fun.
Awhile back I decided to grow my hair out longer. Then I ended up cutting it. Now I'm wishing I had just let it grow. So I'm trying to do that again. I keep telling it to hurry up and grow but it's not listening. I have no patience. Maybe I should get hair extensions. ha. What in the world are hair extensions anyway? Do they glue hair to your head? Ouch.
My house is all clean today, thanks to the cleaning lady who came yesterday. I hope to get some laundry done, make a baked spaghetti for dinner, and then spend the afternoon painting guilt-free.
I'm watching this movie with Kathy Bates, called Ambulance Girl on tv. It's about this lady who is depressed and her husband tells her she's made him the center of her life and he hates that. So she decides at fifty something to go out and get her EMT license, and she loves it and it's like her new thing. So then the husband gets jealous of it and resents her new interest. The movie is not over but already I want to smack him up the side of his hard head. I don't know how I never heard of this movie before now. It's several years old I think. Probably because it's not something that would appeal to that much of an audience. But I like movies about women who start over, like Sleeping With the Enemy and A Home of Our Own, etc.
Lord knows I've done my own share of starting over. And over and over and over.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

This is just another thing we have in common---I loved college when I went back (I was 40). I kind of had to prove to myself I was smarter than I gave myself credit for, and a few other people had given me credit for as in 1st husband. If I could afford to, I would go to school forever.

Kathy, I think part of being nice, is because we think we HAVE to be, it's that little girl in us trying to be GOOD so we will be liked.....