Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Someone Kick Me Again, QUICK!


Oh My God. You ever had one of those moments when it feels like someone kicked you in the head and finally cleared out the cobwebs! Well I had a comment on my post about the job offer, and it was like DUH. In case you didn't see it, a friend posted a comment that basically said I was considering the job because THEY wanted ME, not because I wanted THEM.
Well I sat back with my mouth hanging open and it was like everything started clicking into place. Yes, I've been involved with some men who were real JERKS. Why? Because THEY wanted ME. Did I want them? Hell no.
I've taken jobs because THEY wanted ME, but I didn't really want THEM. Then afterward I felt so taken advantage of and miserable and couldn't understand it.
It's not just that I don't know what I want to do. It's that what I want to do has never been my foremost consideration. In fact, most of the time it's not high on my list. It's what does my husband think I should do. What do my kids think I should do? What do my friends think? And although I value all these opinions tremendously, somehow along the way I forgot to ask myself, or figure out my own answer.
Well I found out more about that job today. Excellent work environment, really LOUSY pay. So lousy in fact that the director I spoke to about it apologized for the amount and said she doubted they would get anyone really qualified to accept it because of the low wages. That's why she was happy I had at least expressed interest.
I sat down and figured it out. I could write for AC like I have been, and do a little Ebaying now and then and make more FROM home than I could make driving all the way over there, forty-five miles each way, with gas at $3 a gallon, not to mention the wear and tear on my car.
I wish I could find someone who needed a typist or data entry operator from home. I type fastttttt.
So the job is a NO.

4 comments:

A Girl From Texas said...

Wow, that's great reasoning. You worked it through and came up with a very difinitive reason for your decision.

Good for you. Many people aren't able to do as much.

Forest Lady said...

I sure don't feel difinitive. I feel like I waver more than anyone, but it's sure nice to hear it. I need to be difinitive more often!

peachy said...

I like the idea of working from home but i'm sure i'd get bored.

Cathy said...

With the way you are banging out content for associated content it would be foolish to take the job. I say stick with what you know and do well. Why not contact you local paper and ask them if they ever use any free lance writers? I could see you writing for the lifestyle section or even having your own advice column.

Once you get that RV you could write tales from the road. Forget working for someone else when you have the kind of talent you have.