Sunday, May 14, 2006

SURRRRPRISE!


Just when I think I have life all figured out, and there are no surprises for awhile, God throws me a few. I like to think he's a bit of a practical joker and enjoys a good laugh like the rest of us. And I think he likes to help me lighten up when I start taking things too seriously.

When I get a bee in my bonnet, I am hard to live with. And I've had this "I Want an RV" bee for awhile now. My husband even admits it's a good idea. So we've been shopping to see what is out there. Saturday, we went to a dealership near here. We found some small ones you can pull that look like a tool shed on wheels. After walking through those for awhile, my husband spots a line of pop-up campers across the street (turned out the camper lot was on both sides of the highway). We decided to walk over. I don't know what happened to the salesman that had been trailing us. My husband thought he left to take a phone call. But regardless, we went across the road alone.

The pop-ups were lined up along the edge of the highway, with the doors open screaming "Come on in and look at me!" so we did. When I was a little girl, we had a pop-up camper, but back then, they had beds and that was it. I was surprised to find out they now have mini-kitchens and potties. My husband didn't believe they had potties. So when I spotted the low cabinet at one end, I was going to raise the top and show him what was in there. I walked to the end and raised the lid. He walked toward that end to look. And then suddenly, we felt the whole thing tilt! We were no longer standing level but severely downhill and it fell with a huge bump! Immediately I thought of it rolling out onto the highway and the news headline, "Two fat asses roll trailer into on-coming traffic."

I ran uphill trying to get to the door, with him right behind me, and you guessed it. We began tipping back up, with another big bump. I thought surely the salespeople across the street are having a good laugh by now watching us, and I wanted to get out of there. Guess what? All the bumping had somehow jammed the door and it wouldn't open. I'm frantically fumbling at the door, my husband reached around me and finally got the door open. We ran to to the car. Utter humiliation. Also hilarious. After we made our get-away, we both laughed our heads off. We also swore we'd never tell anyone, because we were so embarrassed. But you know me......
By the way, the picture is of one we are seriously considering, the tool shed kind. One that won't flip over on us. Hopefully!!!

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Thanks, I needed that. Glad you two made it out safely.

Gillian said...

Wow, you turned the RV search into an adventure! The one in the picture looks really nice. Sounds like fun!

Forest Lady said...

Only problem with the bathrooms in those pop-ups, Amy, is lack of privacy. It's in a box right in the middle of the camper. I want a door, or at the very least a curtain! That's another reason to not go with one of those, besides them being evil and flipping over!

Freebird said...

Funny.

About the bathroom, so you're just supposed to sit there in front of everyone?? No way.

A Girl From Texas said...

We had a motor home when I was growing up. It was wonderful! You will absolutely love it. I cherish the memories I have of the cross country trips we took.