Monday, December 11, 2006

Yes, Margaret, There is a God















I decided to give it up and call to get an appointment with a counselor, due to suggestions by both daughter and husband. You see, I've tried the counseling three times. The first time I had a counselor I just really clicked with, Mrs. Jones. She was a woman about my age, and with similar experiences with family (I gathered from some of her comments), and during the two years I saw her, she moved me forward in my life and helped me make some life changing decisions. All was well, until she decided to change and get into a group that didn't take my insurance.
Determined, I tried going for awhile and paying on my own, but that didn't/couldn't be done for long. So I told her I couldn't come back. I will never forget her look and what she said, "Just when we were really starting to get somewhere."
So then I found a woman nearby, Mrs. Martin, who took my insurance, and who spent the whole time filling out paperwork for forty-five minutes of every fifty minute session. Then she'd say so is there anything you want to talk about today? Which, of course, made my mind go totally blank. I gave her up.
Then I broke down a year or so ago, and found another lady in our area, who I called Miss Brenda, and it went ok. I liked her. She tried. But there was just something that never felt right with her. I just realized I missed the first one. I had gotten spoiled. So the thought of going back to counseling wasn't an idea I wanted to do. But hey, I realize I am depressed. I can call it by a lot of different names but when you don't want to do anything, or talk to anyone, or take a bath, that's depression.
So I broke down this morning and called my insurance company to find out who they would pay for me to see in the way of counselors. They read off a couple of names, including counselor number two (no way, who else do you have), a man (no, don't think so), and counselor number three. I figured I'd just go back to her, even though I didn't really want to. But something hit me, and I thought why not? So I asked if the first woman, Jones, was on their list. While she had me on hold waiting, I said, "Please God. Please God. Please God" to myself. Then all of a sudden, I felt such peace. I knew it would be ok. She came back to the phone and said, "Yes, she's a provider. Here's her number." I see her this Wednesday.
Today is the first time I've felt better in weeks. Yes, folks. There are times I am totally convinced without a shadow of a doubt that God is up there, listening, and really cares what happens. Today is one of those days. Thanks, God. Thanks, God. Thanks, God.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

I'm catching up on your blogs and saw this one. I'm glad that you are going to get to see the one you were most comfortable with. I've (off an on) seen the same counselor now for 20 years. He's just a sounding board most of the time, but I sure feel lots better after I talk to him.

Hope the counseling Went well! I'll have to see if I've missed that blog.

Take care. Hope the MIL visit goes ok too. I don't envy you!