Tuesday, March 20, 2007

C'mon! Be Practical !! ( I hate when people say that.)


Oh well....it was a good dream while it lasted. But as is usually the case with me, practicality overrules indulgence. My husband and I had a "talk," and decided what we needed was a bed for the upstairs bedroom so that we'd have more room for family during the holidays. There went my Target shopping spree, by way of a mattress set. Again, need overrides want. What I wanted was to go to Target and walk the aisles with the gift cards burning in my palms while I picked up and looked at thousands of things before carefully picking out what I wanted to buy. Then carrying the bags into the house and sitting down on the couch and going through each of them one by one.
On one hand, I hate shopping. I hate going to the store to buy something practical, like a coat, or groceries, or garbage bags, or mattresses. But I love shopping when it's just for the pure joy of deciding what I want, not what I need.
I shouldn't complain too much though, because I know what kind of shopper I really am...the guilty kind. Two weeks after I would have had my major Target shopping spree, I would have looked around at the things I bought and thought...Gee, I didn't really NEED that. If I hadn't bought that, I could still have the shopping spree to look forward to. I don't have anywhere to put the stuff I bought anyway. I would wish I had my gift cards back...And so I wouldn't have enjoyed it much long term anyway.
We get a new mattress set, and put the $300 bucks toward that. There's a nice pillow-top Sealy set he thinks would work well.....
Oh well. I do still get to eat at Red Lobster and buy a few books from B & N. So all is not lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listen, you are shattering my illusion of what married life is like. Stop it!!

I thought for sure all I needed was a husband and then I would be able to do all the shopping I wanted. It's been so long since I was married I had forgotten the sacrifice part of it. Especially sacrificing for stuff like a mattress set.

Thanks for making me happy I no longer have a husband around to remind me of all the stuff I need to sacrifice for.

Just think of all the cute baby stuff you could have bought with that target card?

Forest Lady said...

Geez! Isn't that the truth!