Thursday, September 06, 2007

450th Post to This Blog- And an Age Reminder


My husband, daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter, and I went out to eat at a local seafood restaurant in Gulf Shores one evening during our trip. The waiter seated us and handed each of us the large folded menu, then gave my husband and I each a smaller laminated menu that he didn't give the others adults.
Guess what it was...SENIOR MENUS. Guess what I did? I ordered off of it. Guess what else I did? I seriously considered dying this gray hair back to some other color.
In the end, I left the hair gray and just pigged out on my stuffed shrimp at a discount of five dollars off the normal price.
I remember the first time my mom was offered a senior discount. She was about my age, around fifty. We had stopped at McDonald's and ordered our lunches, the exact same things. I paid, and then she did. As we walked back to the table, she said, "Hey, you got the same thing I did. Why did yours cost more?" As she looked over her ticket, a look of horror crossed her face and she said, "Oh my God! I got a SENIOR discount!" She wasn't very happy about it. I guess it was easier for me to be happy about five dollars than for her to be happy over 80 cents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, at 50 I would have been fine with the senior discount. At 55 I've become sensitive to the age thing though and it REALLY bothers me.

I wish I were a youngster like you again!

Happy 450th post!

Gillian said...

I'm just jealous you got a vacation and lots of seafood! I hope you have enjoyed your granddaughter, too. That's one of the bonuses of being a "senior" :).

I love looking at the pictures your daughter posts. I'm so glad Claire is doing so well.