Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Chillin' At the Beach


I am sitting here looking out at the ocean in Gulf Shores. Gulls are diving and padding across the sand, the little kids from next door are digging on the beach with their pails and shovels and I'm just relaxing. It's funny how you really don't know how much you need a vacation until you get one. We've been spending our days watching the ocean, playing with the grandbaby, stuffing ourselves with seafood, and napping.
We are vacationing in one of those "house up on stilts" that are so famous down here on the ocean, because of the tides, I guess. The only problem is when you lie in the bed at night you feel it shaking just like someone was standing there shoving it with their foot, back and forth. I tried to pretend I was sleeping on a float in the middle of an ocean. That didn't work. Finally, I got up and took an Ambien and couldn't have cared less the rest of the night what rocked and what didn't. It would seem to me a house protected from high water that still resides in a high hurricane watch area would not want to be perched up on sticks that rock in the wind. Creepy feeling. Nice house, though. Even has high speed internet access, we found out today, hence this post.
We're going home tomorrow. I miss being home. Vacations are usually good for me about five days at the most and then I'm ready to go home. I'm a home-body in every sense of the word. I like puttering around in my own kitchen, having my own supply of books I can read, and having my Tivo with my own shows recorded for me whenever I want to watch them. I also hate watching commercials. I had no idea how spoiled Tivo had made us. I realize now I could live fine without telephones (Sorry, Alexander Bell) but I'd go through serious mourning over my Tivo.
Well, a barge is going by, so I'm going to go ocean-gaze awhile longer. Something about sea air makes me so sleepy. A nap won't be far off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should feel ashamed that you hid the necklace. It's not you trying to hide your judaism. It's you not being ready to discuss with somewhat-strangers what you're thinking at the moment. This is relatively new for you, so I think it's fair to not want to talk about it with everybody.

Forest Lady said...

You're a smart girl, Miss Amy. Thanks for that comment.