Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Babies, Pork ,and Nails


Doesn't that picture just make you want to say, "Ahhhhh..."

Tomorrow we are going to go with my daughter to take my granddaughter to the doctor. She is doing so well, gaining weight, and her lungs are continuing to develop. She was born in July with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, and many of the CDH moms who have had babies or lost babies to CDH have banded together to raise awareness of this birth defect by contacting the Governor in each state to declare a day in March of 2008, CDH Awareness Day. This birth defect happens in one of every 1500 births, but most people have never heard of it. It happens more often than cystic fibrosis or spina bifida. I'll be posting more info about it later as the day gets closer.

We went to my son's tonight for Zaxby's salads and watching "House, MD." (I think that's the name of it. We have never watched it, but he thought we would like it, so we're watching it from the beginning. We saw three episodes tonight and really liked it. Man, that guy has a major attitude! I'm glad he's not my doctor. Bedside manner is important to me. We saw the episode where the kindergarten teacher got a tapeworm in her brain from eating pork. Made me think that the Jews may have been onto something with not eating pork. After that show and the graphics it had, Yuck!

Thanks to Whoopi Goldberg, I no longer bite my nails. I used to do the acrylic nails and had manicures every two weeks, back when I was working and had the money and inclination to keep them up. Now that I'm home, I cut them short and developed the habit of biting them when I was nervous or whatever. On the View last week, Whoopi was talking to one of the guest hosts and said she could make her stop biting her nails. She asked her how often she went to the bathroom during the day, how many times she did #2, how often she washed her hands (the woman said often), and if she used a nail brush (no, but who does?). Then she said and how often do you touch doorknobs, phones, elevator buttons, etc, during the day? All of that from all those people who have gone to the bathroom is all over everything you touch, and unless you use a nail brush, it's all right there, under your nails. She said, "Now think about that every time you put that nail near your mouth." Well, it works. I do think about it and I haven't bitten my nails since then.

I had a lawyer who did that once, had a terrible nail biting habit. He had chewed his fingernails, cuticles, etc until they looked pitiful. It was a disconcerting feeling to think your lawyer was that nervous...what would happen in court??? But he did ok, despite his nervous habit.

No comments: