Friday, February 01, 2008

Dribs and Drabs of This and That


I haven't been so great at keeping regular posts on my blog lately, but am going to try to do better. I got my Kindle from Amazon, downloaded some books, and now have an even better excuse not to get out of my recliner. So yesterday, I ordered some books on low carb dieting, so maybe that will get me motivated to get my butt walking.

I saw my regular family doctor this week, because I still have this cold/sinus infection/bronchitis/whatever it is that I've had since the cruise the middle of December. I'm on my fourth round of antibiotics, prednisone, decongestants, etc. so hopefully this time's the charm. While I was there, he weighed me and said from when I saw him in August to now, I've lost 27 pounds.

Then he gave me a lecture about why low carb doesn't work. Can you believe that? I thought, hey, take a look at my behind, it begs to differ! His theory is people that do low carb are actually just eating less calories without noticing. Hey, I'd notice.
My grandmother, bless her heart, always said it's the starches and sugars that make you fat. I think Granny was onto something.

Our tv shows came back on, so we have spent the last couple of weeks watching Lost, House, In Treatment, Amazing Race, and a host of game shows. That is my husband's favorite thing to do, tv. My favorite it turning it off, turning on Canon in D on the Kindle, and reading. I have found if I use noise reducing earbuds instead of the speakers, I can actually block out the tv. There is a God.

My middle son has an interview he's flying out to Seattle for in a couple of weeks. I don't think I can stand him being that far away. The thought kills me. My daughter is too far, my youngest son is too far, but Seattle seems like a million miles. Of course, he's always wanted to live in Seattle since he visited there a few years ago. He talked about it all through college. I want him to be happy, but I wish all my kids lived closer.

I'm still seeing the therapist. Here is what I've learned the last few weeks. It's ok to cry at funerals even if your mother doesn't like you to, so there is no reason to avoid them because of fear of crying. I have a whole critical dialogue with myself that plays in my mind a lot. I'm working to change that. I have no more to feel guilty about than the next person, but it just seems that way. It's ok to ask for what you need to take care of yourself, even if it seems selfish (this one is hard for me.)

As for books, I'm reading Mercy of Thin Air right now. Good, but took me awhile to figure out the flow of the story. I loved the movie "I am Legend" (even though I didn't think I would) and am thinking of reading that book. I want to re-read Gone With the Wind. I haven't read everything that everyone else has read, so still have the Kite Runner, World Without End, HP books 3-7, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and a few more "gotta-reads" ahead of me. Hopefully, by the time I finish them, there will be some more "gotta-reads" out there. Reading on the Kindle is much better for old eyes, because you can adjust the font size.

We are planning to go to temple tonight. The children are putting on a program, and I think it will be cute to watch. I've decided to put converting on the back burner for awhile, and see how I feel about it in a year or so. In the meantime, I love going to temple.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the doctor on the lower calories. kind of like when I do the fat smash initial phase for 9 days. I'm eating fruits, veggies, beans, tofu, and brown rice. All filling, and I roughly figured it out one day and I was eating about 1200-1300 calories, which helps me lose. for me, knowing that I can eat as much as I want so long as it's that, makes me eat less. So probably the same thing's happening with you, you're eating more protein, which is more filling. But I think if it works for now, and recognize that it probably isn't a life long way of eating (can you seriously not eat bread and cake forever!), then once you start eating "normal" again you can watch the transition.

Think, if your son moves to Seattle, that would be a good excuse to take a cruise to Alaska and visit me, because that would be a fun time - we'd both just sit at the coffeehouse staring at each other!

Forest Lady said...

Amy, I'm sure we'd find something to talk about since the silence would get to both of us after awhile. ha.
We allowed ourselves to eat what we wanted at Thanksgiving. That included sugar, potatoes, etc. Although I didn't eat very much (I had been cooking, was too hot and tired to want to eat.) Anyway, my blood sugar went nuts, and I felt like crap all afternoon. No, if I really wanted cake or bread, I'd have some, and then back on low carb. This is the first thing I've ever tried that I was able to stick with.