Friday, March 21, 2008

When It Rains, Get Out the Buckets


Life Lesson: Never say it's been a long and tiring week on Wednesday. You have then only begun a longer and more tiring week.

My friend brought seven of her children over yesterday. We played with them, ordered in pizza, watched the animal channel, and had a really good time. A couple of hours into it, her older son called and had been in an accident with a saw, cut into the end of his finger, and wanted her to meet him at the ER. I kept the kids. So hours later, he was put back together, but in a lot of pain. She was frantic (she found out her divorce was final and this happened on the same day), and she was worn out. I, who am used to mostly total solitude, was almost in a coma state by the time she picked up all the kids. ha. Then, she gets home to find out another friend has left her husband and has been camped out in her driveway all day waiting for her to get home so she can stay with her.
Life is too ironic to make all this up.

My husband arrived home as the last children were going out the front door. I'm standing there, my hair a mess, the house a mess, no dinner made, too comatose to talk. He looks over the situation and says, "Why don't I make us a sandwich?" You gotta love 'em.

I finished reading The Book Thief yesterday. I know I say this often, but this really WAS the best book I've ever read. I want to go back and start on it again today. I will say, cover art means a lot to me, even though I buy my books as Ebooks on Kindle. If I don't like the cover, I probably won't even read more about the book. Several people had mentioned The Book Thief to me, and it was one of my book club selections this month. I hated the cover. It looked like one of those cheapo books you find at the dollar store in a cardboard bin. However, I bought it. Whoever said don't judge a book by it's cover was right.

The therapist said I need to start judging how my "emotional strength" or "ego strength" is doing on a scale of 1-10. Well, I now know babysitting seven children puts me at a 0. Now if I could just figure out what a 10 is, I'd have some point of reference. And my friend said she's living at some negative number on her emotional strength scale, so we can't figure out how to judge that one. Poor thing. One good thing did come out of her day, though. The judge declared her *&%#@ ex is going to have to sell his house to pay her the more than 30K in back child support he owes her. He's not too happy. :-)

No comments: