Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another Pre-December Gripe Session


It's turned very cold today in Seattle. It is cloudy every day, even the so-called "sunny" days. My son likes it cold, but I've been freezing all day. The fact that he leaves the windows open doesn't help. He said it helps to keep air circulating so mold doesn't grow around the windows from all the rain and humidity.



Christmas is coming quickly, and Thanksgiving even more so. All the kids are coming home Christmas, as is my hubby's mom (although my Seattle son may not be able to come if he has a new job then.) My daughter wrote today to ask what days we are going to have our holiday dinners. I need to get my butt in gear and figure all this out, but right now, all I am doing is dreading dealing with the whole thing. I know that's my typical Scroogie-ness coming out, which it usually does this time of year. Maybe once I get home, I'll be able to wrap my brain around all of this and make some plans. But not right now. No one is coming Thanksgiving except for my daughter and her family. We may just do Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving this year. I can spend more time with them and the baby if I'm not cooking all morning. I don't know why I hate the holidays. I always feel so overwhelmed by them. I always dread the whole season. And I always feel so guilty for feeling like this. You'd think after 52 Christmas days, I'd figure out what my problem is and get in the flow of things, but it seems to get worse every year.

We went to a park today and had fish and chips for lunch, and we bought chowder to bring home for dinner tonight. That's good, because I'm already getting sick of cooking.
Ok, this is sounded like one big bitch session, so I'll stop this post here.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Sorry to stress you out over the holidays. I was just trying to figure out where we had to be when.

Cracker Barrel sounds fine for Thanksgiving. It's just going to be us and we don't care about food, plus we will be eating dinner with the in-laws that night.

I'll try to come down early for Christmas to help with food. We should just order a honeybaked ham and make 3-4 sides to go with it. I can make up the sides and bring them down with me.

And look on the bright side: at least you get to stay home for the holidays and don't have to travel. I wish I could teleport everywhere we've got to be.

Forest Lady said...

You didn't stress me out. Sooner or later I would have figured out Christmas is close and would have stressed myself out. Honeybaked ham sounds good. I'll figure it out.

Emily said...

I would love to live in Seattle - I think it would be fun.

That's nice of you to write that young man. I'm sure it means a lot to him.