Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sanity in the Storm


What a week! I can't believe it's just Wednesday.
I went to an OA meeting Monday, and someone asked me where I grew up, and it got around to my grandmother, and I burst out crying. You know...one of those "Why am I crying? Where did this come from?" cries. They all just loved me through it and let me talk, although I didn't know what to say. I kept telling myself not to be embarrassed, it's ok to cry. When I came home, I didn't immediately want to stuff the feelings back down with food, which is a big thing with me. I've been working this program since May 13, and except for one insane day have been "abstinent" from overeating. I'm using a free program online to track my food called Nutrawatch, and I send it every evening to my sponsor. I go to meetings twice a week in person, and do some online meetings. I'm journaling...that's huge. And I read OA and AA books (AA is the same program. You just have to substitute "FOOD" for "ALCOHOL" and "Compulsive overeater" for "alcoholism". Same program. Same message. Same thing.
We went to play cards Monday night. We'd been playing about an hour (my team was losing big time) when the power went off and the hail started. At first it sounded like regular hail, which in Alabama is a common thing in spring and early summer. Then it started sounding like someone was throwing baseballs at the windows. People were running back into the closet. I wanted to see, but I was afraid to stand too near the windows. I tried a peek but it was raining in sheets and there was no visibility. When the hail stopped and the rain let up a bit, we came home. Of course, the power was off all night until 130PM yesterday. All our frig food thawed out. Our freezer food was ok though. I called the insurance to check the roof and told them about losing the food. They said they don't cover food unless the power is out 48 hours. Great.
Then I called the utilities and they said several telephone poles blew down on the street behind us. Our fence in the back also blew down, but it belongs to the association so it's not ours to fix.
Saturday I took our dog to the groomers and the girl was new...She cut him pretty badly on his tummy. When they called us to pick him up, my husband went, and said they said they "knicked" him. Well, it was deep and he was whimpering and shaking. We had to take him to the emergency vet, and he cleaned it up and glued it closed, put a collar on him and put him on antibiotics. We had this $128 bill....I thought we should take it by there and talk to the groomers about it. My husband, who is a wimp like me, said let it go. But I needed to feel like an adult with a spine, so I did some slow breathing and went. I was nice. They apologized. They said the girl who did the grooming cried when she saw what she had done. I told them even the vet said it was just an accident. I told them I don't want anyone grooming them again but the owner lady. They said fine. And I offered to let them give us the vet bill in free grooms. They agreed to that. So I left there feeling like I'd worn my big girl pants for the day.
I'm still going to the pool to walk. We were going to start an aerobics class in the pool yesterday but the storm messed that up. Maybe next week.
I've lost nine pounds. I feel so much calmer and saner. That's all folks.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm so proud of the way you are taking care of yourself Kathy.

You are taking pro-active steps to deal with the over eating. Handling stressful situations in a mature manner...big girl pants and all.

Me, I'm stuffing EVERYTHING and not dealing with anything except work.

Using it and food to keep from paying attention to what I need to do for myself.

I need a meeting to go to where it is OK to cry about my grandmother or anyone else I want to cry about.

Think I need to start working on issues as passionately as you are.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for going to the groomer. I'm sure it was traumatic for the girl, because I'm sure it's not hard to cut a dog's hair, but still. Did they make you pay for the groom that caused the nick?

Forest Lady said...

Amy, Yes my husband paid them for the groom that caused the injury. He didn't look at it closely and thought it was a "nick."