Saturday, April 22, 2017

Saturday Stuff

We went to breakfast at Waffle House and then took the dog to the vet for his heartworm shot. It is raining hard here this morning, but we needed the rain.
After seeing my therapist R for 3 years, she decided to open her own clinic as a ministry at her church. Her father was a pastor, but she was never preachy with me. When I was seeing her all those years, it was at a Christian counseling group, which was fine with me, as I consider myself a Christian, just not one of "those Christians." The first time I saw her she asked if we could pray together at the end of our sessions and I said no. After that, there was never any religious pressure.
Anyway, like I said, she decided to move her practice to her church and I made one trip out there to see her. I was not comfortable with that at all!!! For one thing, it was 15 miles from my house. I had to check in through the church office. Plus, it was a super busy place and loud.
So, I changed to another therapist, D, at the office I'd been going to. She's close to my age. She has dogs. I like her. So there have been three therapists in my life.
The first one walked me through major MAJOR codependency issues. We tackled all kinds of issues from my life but not the BIG thing, as I had decided if I never gave a voice to the BIG thing, it would not affect me. (It was affecting me BIG TIME.).
Therapist number 2 found out and tiptoed slowly into the rape discussion. She began by handing me a textbook with a PTSD diagnosis and having me read it to myself and "just consider it." We went from there. I came to realize how my life had gone from a pretty fearless life as a business owner with a social life before the rape, to a fearful of everything isolated hermit after. And we dealt with telling my family. (They were great.).
Therapist 3 is helping me combat the physical reactions to getting out by myself and claim my independence back. So it has been a process and each therapist has been exactly what I needed at the time. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." I can actually see a not too distant future where I won't need therapy anymore.
My husband is retiring this summer, and the other big news of the day is his letter arrived that he needed to submit his retirement package. He's been waiting on it for months but the government is slow about everything.


3 comments:

Amy said...

I never knew you used to have a business. In what?

ForestLady said...

I owned a math tutoring center for years. Had a staff of eight at one point.

Unknown said...

Duh I do remember that now!