Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Questions and Answers

I had a comment on a previous post that someone didn't know I ever owned a business. So I thought I would write about that today. When I was in college, I worked as a tutor for student services, landed a job as a lab assistant in the math lab, and later began tutoring at a local tutoring center as their solo tutor while the owner was out on maternity leave. When I graduated, my plan had always been to teach in public schools. However, I really enjoyed working one on one with students. When I found out the lady I had been working for did not intend to come off maternity leave and resume her business, I decided to open my own business. I rented office space, put in a computer lab, tutoring cubicles, and bought math textbooks, manipulatives, etc. At one time, I was up to seven tutors working for me. We only did math and tutored grades 1-12. I also had a free adult literacy program.
I did that for about four years. I got so burned out. I had done all my own payroll and taxes. I had tutors who would call in sick right before their scheduled session. So I decided owning a business is not all it is cracked up to be. I have also taught in public school, which I don't recommend to anyone who likes teaching more than politics, paperwork, and babysitting.



No comments: