Sunday, March 06, 2005

Down to the Wire

I received an email from the publisher yesterday of the anthology of short stories where mine was being considered. She enclosed a contract for me to sign and return to her. I'm one of fifty finalists and the book will feature thirty stories, but they get signed contracts from everyone who is in the running. So now I wait. It probably won't be decided until closer to August, at least that's what the contract said. So I'm just going to try to put it out of my mind until then and see.
I guess I just won't even take myself seriously as a writer until I actually get something published. Then that will give me the momentum to continue submitting.
I write because I enjoy it. I write about things I know, or dream. I've always gotten that advice from writing magazines, that you should write about things you know.
Still I'm hopeful and apprehensive at the same time over this story. If I win, I get $200 and a copy of the book. Of course, if I'm published I'll probably spend the $200 buying copies of the book from the local bookstore.
I go now to Books-A-Million and see copies of the last anthology on the shelf that I was a finalist in, but didn't get selected. That's hard. But waiting for this decision is harder.

No comments: