Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Mom told me to....

My mom said if I write things about her, I have to tell something on myself. So I'm going to tell you about one of my worst dating experience from my teenage years. (I'd do the worst ones from the adult years but that would take a week to type.)
Anyway, my best friend was Dolores, and she had been dating Del all through high school. She kept telling me I needed to stop breaking up every two weeks and go steady. (It's called "going out" now but that sounds dumb to me, especially when kids say they're going out and never go anywhere....) Anyway, Dolores and Del took me with them to visit his family, about an hour's drive from where I lived, and there Del introduced me to his brother, Randy.
Well Randy was a cutie. Very quiet and shy but a cutie. That day we went caving. (My mom forbid me to go into caves, so I took extra clothes and left at Dolores' house.) We spent the day together crawling through muddy caves. Loads of fun. (I was sixteen. Everything is fun at sixteen.) On the way home in the van, Randy kissed me and asked me to go steady with him. It took him thirty minutes of trying to ask before he could get up the nerve. I felt so bad for him being so shy, so I said sure. I'd go steady with him.
Well since he didn't have a car yet, and he lived an hour away, I didn't see him for awhile. We talked on the phone, but I was getting kind of tired of sitting at home on weekends when I was used to going out. A guy from school that had asked me out a couple of times (You never say yes the first time.) called, and asked if I wanted to go to to movie...Ok, so I shouldn't have gone, but I wanted to go somewhere and this guy was sweet. He was a DJ in Huntsville and used to dedicate songs to me on the radio. Awwww.. He came by later to pick me up and we went to the movie and had a great time. On the way home, he turned down my street, and I saw a strange car in my driveway. I called home to see who it was, and my mom said it was Randy!
Meanwhile, my Mom was having quite an adventure at home. Randy had come to see me, and Mom didn't want to tell him I was out with another guy, so she said I had gone to see my sister. He asked if he could come in and wait. She said ok but I might be gone a long time. He said he'd wait. (geez) Anyway, a little while later, my sister drops by for a visit with her kids. My mom freaks. She runs to sis and says, "Well hello, Emily!!" Emily is the next door neighbor. My sister was puzzled but mom kept looking toward Randy so my sister played along. A little while later, my step-dad came home, and mom freaks again. She says, "Aren't you going to say hi to Emily?" My step-dad assumes she's nuts and goes off to watch the ballgame.
So here I am in the car with the other guy, and I find out Randy is waiting at my house. So as we are pulling up at my house, I said, "I had a nice time. I'll talk to you tomorrow" and I try to get out of the car. Oh no. He's never let a girl out at the curb and he's not starting now. He wants to walk me to the frigging door. I said, no, no you can't. Oh yes, he's going to walk me to the door. So he walks me to the door and I try to go inside but oh, no he has to kiss me goodnight. By this time, I'd have done whatever he wanted just to get his ass to leave. So I kiss him, he leaves, I go in and break up with poor Randy (I'll probably go to hell because I made him cry.)
Randy leaves and my mom threatens to kill me. To this day, whenever we tell family stories she says, "Tell them about what you did to me."
So I did.
P.S. I ended up admitting to guy number two what was really going on. He didn't mind, since I told him we broke up. I went out with him several more times until I met husband number one. I even went parking with him one time on Green Mountain, and we got lost and I was an hour getting home late (but that's another story). I probably would have done better to have kept either one of them than what I ended up with in hubby number one.
Isn't being young fun? Next entry I'll tell you about a blind date I went on so my girlfriend could go out with a guy she knew. We double dated and went parking on the mountain with these two GI's, and we ended up having to walk home down the mountain in the dark (for awhile anyway).

No comments: