Sunday, June 26, 2005

Vacationing in Birmingham

My husband and I decided we wanted a trip this weekend, but not too far, and not too expensive. Friday morning we decided to drive to Birmingham and spend a night at the Wynfrey. I'd heard wonderful things about the Wynfrey, and while I think the lobby is magnificent, the rooms really were not what I expected. Sort of outdated, furniture old and scratched up, smaller than I had imagined, and a small no-frills hotel bathroom. Nothing like the room pictured on their website under "accommodations". (I think the nicest room I've had was at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi. I opted for the "honeymoon package" at the Wynfrey which included champagne, a rose on the pillow, free parking, and a room service breakfast (delicious). We also went to Shula's for dinner and although I never thought I'd say this, it was the best steak I've ever had. We went shopping in the Galleria. The best part of shopping was Build a Bear. I made myself one, and hubby made a "red hat" one for his mom for Christmas. We spent the whole weekend with no television, which was the best part. I finally felt like I got to talk to my husband.
On Saturday, we met my daughter and son-in-law at an Italian restaurant and then went to a do-it-yourself craft place that was listed in Southern Living. I painted a large crock to add to the collection of salt-glazed ones on the top of my kitchen cabinets (mostly Rowe, mostly Christmas gifts). I painted it Mary Englebreit style with the black/white checkerboard and bright colors. My daughter did one in cream with a green ivy vine, and my husband did a dolphin for his daughter and a dog for my middle son (he collects dog figurines since boyhood). If you've never experienced one of those craft places, try it. It's great.
It was a lot of fun, and very nice to get away from home for awhile.

No comments: