Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Carols Sung by the FIRE!

My friend I mentioned who was getting divorced had a fire in her home this week. Now she can't live in it until she has a lot of electrical work done, so the Red Cross is putting up her and the kids in a motel. She is suspicious the soon to be ex-husband started it, thinking it would 1) keep her from getting the house in the divorce 2) get insurance money 3) make her life harder. Of course, that's only a suspicion.
She and I had a discussion the other day about finances. I told her I learned after my divorce to live on very little, while she said she learned that in her marriage. She's feeding a very large family on very little grocery money, by shopping sales, buying in bulk, using less meat in her dishes, and clipping coupons. I told her I can make about a million dishes out of hamburger, and have been known to feed my kids mac and cheese for dinner. I don't think it's a bad thing to have to learn to live on very little. I know I can if I ever have to again. She said that's the least thing she's concerned about. My husband and I live on about 40% of his income, and sock the rest away in his retirement account. Of course, we are lucky not to have many bills so we can do that. Still Christmas is hard on everyone. My daughter mentioned us all drawing names next year and I think that's a great idea.
Tomorrow my mother-in-law comes. I went out and bought a new bedspread and curtains for her room, from a great sale at brylanehome online. She'll be here until the 3rd of January. We get along fine.
I didn't get my new dulcimer yet that I ordered some time back. The guy said he thought he would have it to me by Christmas but it's getting close and no dulcimer.
We are planning a cruise in April out of Mobile to Mexico. This is going to be our three year anniversary present to each other. This time out we managed to get a suite instead of a teeny tiny room like we had last time. He got a military discount from Carnival. Anyone who served at least 2 yrs and had an honorable discharge gets the discount, so he qualified. I'm really looking forward to our getting away by ourselves.
My middle son is having headaches and nausea some days on awakening. He's in between insurance right now, so he's trying to put off going to the doctor. They get better after he's up awhile and this happens like twice a week. I wonder if it's migranes, as I have had them in the past and I think my daughter had one recently. I just wish he'd go to the doctor. As a mother, I imagine the worst.
Well that's about all the thoughts for now. I hope all my blog friends have a wonderful Christmas if I don't get to write before then.

No comments: