Sunday, December 11, 2005

Conquer That Clutter!

Ok, so I admit I am a little anal about the house. My daughter will be happy to verify that for you. I can handle having high blood pressure, natural disasters, workplace situations, but my house can reduce me to tears very quickly. It's getting to the tears point.
I'm a "neatie" and my husband is a "collector". I throw away, he saves. I toss, he retrieves. You get the idea. We've been married almost three years. Lately, I've been having the idea that the only way to get out from under this mess is to move, so I know it's getting desperate. I decided this week I have to get started. I got some boxes and garbage bags. Then I asked him, "If I make a pile in the middle of each room, will you load it up when you get home from work and take it to the thrift store to donate?" He agreed. Balls back in my court now.
Christmas is looming. I've been home for work for several weeks and still I'm not making any progress getting this done. My mother-in-law will be here for two weeks beginning on the 21st. I just have to get this done folks.
Then I realize if I get it done, I am going to have to train him to not bring stuff home. I think he's starting to understand how big of a deal this is to me. He picked up a photo storage box the other day at a store we were in. Nice cherry wood. Pretty. He said, "Do you like this?" I said, "Sure its nice. Who do you want to give it to?" He said, "Well, I was thinking of getting it for us." To which I replied, "And put it where? We have NO WHERE TO PUT ANYTHING ELSE."
So am I being a bitch? Probably. Likely. Am I the only woman this drives nuts?

1 comment:

emily said...

Oh my goodness, you are SO not the only one. And my husband is the same way. I put stuff away, he gets it back out and adds something else. I swear he does it just to spite me. At least yours will get rid of stuff if you gather it all up. Mine says he will and then just leaves it. For months. Or years...I am often on the verge of tears about it. And it's never going to change. So either I need a maid, or I need to start drinking every night.