Sunday, February 19, 2006

I See a Flake, Pass the Little Debbies


It's been a slow, lazy weekend. My youngest son came from Little Rock to see his girlfriend here in town this weekend, and he stopped by to see us yesterday. He said we are very boring. He's the kind that never sits still, and all we do on the weekends is sit still. ha.
I've cooked all weekend, but think today may be a good "eating out" day, as I'm getting sick of cooking. Last night I made King's Ranch Casserole. Yum. Very good.
Yesterday, we went to see When a Stranger Calls. My husband and I watched the original when we were dating, but the remake was a lot better. It kept me jumping and shreeking through a lot of it, so both hubby and son laughed a lot at me. Glad they were entertained. :-)
I bought some greeting card kits and have been putting them together this weekend. I now have enough greeting cards for every holiday from now until the year 3000. Don't know what I'll do with all these cards, but they were fun to make. Anyone need some cards?
Our weather man predicted ice and sleet last night. Roads have none of it this morning. When someone predicts snow in Alabama, the lines at the grocery store get miles long. I have stood in line over an hour to pay for my "snow groceries". If the snow does come, even an inch, the roads are closed, businesses and schools shut down, and all life outside the house stops. So people stay in and eat all these groceries they have bought, and don't have to go to work. This is because, although other states are prepared for snow, own salt trucks and snow plows etc, and can get out there and clear the roads and ice, our state never has snow (once every three or four years) and so having all that equipment would not be "cost effective". Well this system has worked here for as long as I can remember. Except somewhere along the way, the weathermen must have been contacted by the grocery store owners in some back alley, and some dirty money changed hands, and now they are in cohoots. Now they say, SNOW SNOW! Everyone runs out and buys all the milk and bread and snack stuff. No snow.. The weathermen look sheepish; the grocery store people look smug. I know this must be the case because when I was a child, we didn't have doppler radar and all the other state of the art equipment, but that little weather man watching the sky and his barometer would say snow and it would snow. But who am I to argue with the weather people nowadays. At least when they say that, my husband goes out and buys Little Debbie Snack Cakes. And I love those Swiss Cake Rolls.....oh God.

2 comments:

K said...

I saw When a Stranger Calls this weekend, too, and blogged about my wife's reaction:
www.mormoncollege.blogspot.com

Forest Lady said...

Amy, Rotel tomatoes are the same thing as a can of diced tomatoes and a can of chopped green chilies. Here we can get them in a can called Rotel, that is available in mild, medium, or hot. But diced tomatoes and chilies would substitute fine.