Saturday, April 08, 2006

Why is the Weather Siren Going Off?


The last few days have been an adventure. The tornado warnings rang out last night, and my husband (bless his heart) got out the flashlights, candles, cash, etc and barricaded us in the hallway. Then we had a bit of large hail, about walnut size. My son was thrilled to get a piece of it to put in the freezer. We had some wind and a lot of rain and lightning. We only stayed in the hall about ten minutes, then went back into the living room to see what the television said, and it looked like it had passed us. More storms came through after that, but I went to bed.

I think my husband sat up for most of the night, because he's not lived in Alabama long enough to get used to the tornadoes. I've lived here for fifty years. I've stood with my daddy at the top of the basement steps and watched a huge tornado go by, while my mother screamed at us from inside the basement. I learned one thing. If a tornado is going to strike your house directly, it's not going to matter much whether you were standing outside or hiding in a closet. If it hits directly, you can kiss your hiney goodbye. So that leaves two options. You can sit up all night and worry and wait. Or you can look at it like I do. The chance of it actually hitting one particular house are small. They tend to hit and miss most of the time, taking one roof, leaving a house, hitting another one. And a tornado has a path, not covering the whole city at once. So if you're not in the direct path, you're ok. So I choose to go to bed. Also, we don't have large trees in our yard so we don't have that part of it to deal with.

Today, we decided to try a new Portuguese Restaurant that opened near here. I had never had that kind of food, and the different taste of the spices took some getting used to. I think it was good, but I'm not sure it's something I would ever want to have again. What I had was sort of greasy, which was a steak, pan fried in some strange sauce. My husband had paella, and I got to try a mussel out of his dish, which I had never tasted before. It was pretty good.

After we got home, my husband remembered this is his weekend to have to go out to work for awhile to check on their system. They do a rotating schedule and this was his time. So he went out there, and I'm just sitting watching Judge Judy because it came on.
I'm reading the DaVinci code, because I'm the last person in America who hasn't read it, and I want to be able to see the movie and compare it to the book. I'm also reading Joan Anderson's A Weekend To Change Your Life. I tend to read several books at once. One in my purse, one by the recliner, one on the nightstand....I actually bought all the Harry Potter books but haven't read them yet. Well actually I read the first one, but it's been so long ago I'd probably have to start over. I think I have ADD when it comes to books.

I got the bright idea today I might like to get hair extensions, until I read about it online and how much it costs. I guess I'll just stick to the letting it grow like everyone else.
My life seems very boring lately, even with all our adventures.

1 comment:

Forest Lady said...

I like Tom Hanks too. I always thought if he was in it, it had to be a good movie, but after Terminal I'm not so sure.
Cathy, our news people did the constant talking and tracking thing, too. But it's like they do with snow. If they predict it, we can be sure we won't get any. Our snows that show up are usually surprises.