Sunday, July 16, 2006

Oh Granny!


My granny, bless her heart, had the softest, whitest hair you've ever seen. She kept it short, with a Toni home permanent in it, which my mom gave her regularly at the kitchen table. Then Mom would roll it into pin curls and pin them with bobby pins. When it dried, Granny would brush it back in soft curls and put a spider web thin white hairnet over it all. Big production. During all this, Granny would yell that Mama was pulling her bald, was killing her, and to hurry up. Mama would patiently reply, "I'm not hurting you, you're not dead yet, and I AM hurrying so hush." Granny's final inspection of completed hair would be, "I wish I could wear a crewcut, and only have to wash my head with a washrag. Yes, sir, If I could, I'd cut it ALL off." I'd laugh.
Well, Granny, the older I get, the more I hate fooling with this hair. I hate washing it. I have to force myself to do it, and only do it then because I can't stand the way it feels when it hasn't been washed every other day. I think some kind of head scarf should come back into style so no one would have to fix their hair to go to the grocery store.
My daughter keeps telling me if it was longer, it would be easier, but that sounds bizarre to me.
Sometimes I wish I could cut it all off and wear it in a crewcut, so I could just wash my head with a washrag....Oh Granny!

No comments: