Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day


My husband woke me up with a velvet heart-shaped box of chocolates this morning. I told him he couldn't have his valentine surprise until tonight. He wanted to know why not and I told him, "Because."

I decided instead of some hokey present, I'd do something for him he really likes (no, not that, get your mind out of the gutter. ha.) I am making his favorite dinner...boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, baked potatoes, salad, and Red Velvet Cake for dessert. He has no idea. We've been following the e-mealz plan for our meals and grocery shopping, and by looking at today's menu on it, he thinks we are having some kind of chicken, so he'll be surprised.

My daughter is worried about her baby. I'm worried about my daughter (and son-in-law). I still feel peace that the baby will ultimately be fine. I am angry that my daughter can't just waddle through a normal pregnancy and gripe about her back hurting and having to pee all the time, and just enjoy all of it. This is like a cloud that moved over, and we're looking for the sunshine through it. That baby will be our sunshine, and I may just nickname her that when I get to hold her.
When my daughter was little, I used to sing her "Sunshine on my Shoulders" by John Denver. There is a part of that song that goes like this:

If I had a tale that I could tell you
I'd tell a tale sure to make you smile
If I had a wish that I could wish for you
I'd make a wish for sunshine all the while

I know that trusting God is all we can do right now, that he'll take care of the baby and give strength, hope and sunshine to my daughter and her husband when she needs it. I also need him to do a little favor for me. I need him to put a rush on the results of my allergy shots I'm taking to get over being allergic to their cat, so I can go down to be with her for all her appointments and then after the baby comes. I take the shots weekly and it's usually a very slow process. I want to be there to support them both.

It's true that when something like this happens to you, it makes your priorities line up very quickly, and the little things that seemed so important just don't seem to matter at all anymore. I am looking forward to having that cute baby home next Valentine's Day and I'll sing her Sunshine on My Shoulders just like I did with my baby girl.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes....I can't wait to for baby pics!

Gillian said...

I really feel badly for your daughter and son-in-law too, as you are right, this should be a wonderful time for them, rather than a long period of worry.
I understand why you feel angry for them. I wish I had something wonderfully comforting to say, but just want to say your sweet grandbaby is in my prayers.