Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice


My daughter and son-in-law came last night to spend the night. I had made a pot roast with potatoes and carrots and we had dinner in front of the tv. (We're casual folks!) Then today we went shopping at BabysRUs and Target. They have a gift registry at both places and I thought it was neat how they gave them a scanner and when they found something they wanted to add- they just pointed the scanner and zap! It's on their registry!

Things have changed so much since I had my babies. When I used to shop before the babies came, I never had any idea what I was going to have..so most stores stocked a lot of mint green, yellow, and white. Well most mommies these days know way ahead of time and the store is mostly divided into boy clothes and girl clothes. I immediately went for the pink, pink, and more pink...After all, baby Claire is a girl!

My daughter finally said, "Enough pink! Buy some other colors!" So I reluctantly obliged and bought white with pink flowers...ha. Isn't that a good compromise! I bought several packs of baby clothes hangers, two sleepers, and some diapers. My husband got in on the fun and bought all of our baby-proofing equipment like safety plugs for the outlets and cabinet locks. He can't wait to be a grandpa.


I'm planning a baby shower for them in April, and my friend, Dawn, is going to be the co-hostess. I found the cutest three tiered cakes made out of diapers and baby things like rattles and pacifiers. How cute an idea is that!

I think the shopping cheered us all up. We go to see the pediatric surgeon on March 8th, and until then, we are just waiting and searching the internet for all we can find about Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. I read until I can't stand it anymore, as one article will be bleak, the next reassuring, and I have no idea how old the information I'm reading is.

I went and got my hair cut short, and I'm going to let it go silver, since it's determined to do that anyway. Then it will be much easier and faster to deal with. I plan to be with my daughter and her baby as much as possible during the baby's hospitalization and surgery. We've read that baby girls tend to do better than baby boys. One woman described it as the boys being lazy and the girls are such fighters. That sounds about right considering my three kids.

The picture above is of a sweater I ordered the baby on Ebay, and also some newborn hospital caps I had personalized with "Claire" on them. I also bought a cap from Jessica and she is going to make it for the baby.

We tend to walk through life taking so much for granted. Women figure they will quickly get pregnant, but many have infertility problems. For the ones who do get pregnant, they figure all will be well. Most of the time it is. But when it's not, and the baby has problems, it sure seems to hit you hard.

I know in my own case, it's brought me a lot closer to my faith. Faith in God, faith in my family, faith in doctors and hospital and new technology. About all you can do in a situation like this is to pray, hope, and keep the faith. And in between all that, do a lot of shopping for little pink clothes......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica does beautiful work. My cousin's daughter is 10 and was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I ordered caps for her from Jessica. She didn't let me pay her, did it for nothing and now that Daneille has no hair she is loving her crocheted hats. I can't wait to see a photo of what she does for Claire.

You know what else you are going to need Grandma? A crib for when Claire is old enough to stay over. Hey, wonder if they let grandmothers register?!!?

I love the pink sweater and I don't blame you. I'd go crazy buying pink also.

I'm so glad you have managed to keep the faith. I believe in the law of attraction. If you have faith and keep positive thoughts I honestly believe you are repaid in kind.

Just think, you are going to be a grandmother. A new hat to wear, a new role to play and all that excitement.

Michelle said...

Pink!!! I would love to have a baby girl to dress all in pink! (I married my husband when his daughter was four, so didn't get to do the whole 'pink' thing) Having had two boys, I do know all about the blue though, LOL!

You are going to be such a fantastic Grandma! Oh! do you want to be called that? My MIL insists that she be called Grammy (whatev), so I thought I'd ask.

Gosh, this is making me excited!

Forest Lady said...

I want to be called "Granny" because I had a Granny that raised me while my mom worked. She and I were very close, so I'll be Granny in her honor, and hope I do as great as it as she did.

Freebird said...

Ahh, I'm sure you will. I think I just want to be called grandma when the time comes. The sweater is precious.