Thursday, March 08, 2007

Preparing One Nest and Emptying Another


My husband and I went with my daughter and son-in-law to see the pediatric surgeon that is on the team who will do the baby's corrective surgery. She talked to us a long time about the things that could happen, even the rare things that can occur, but said it's impossible to really predict how well a child will do until they are actually delivered and assessed. They have all the latest equipment available, including the ECMO machines (heart/lung bypass machine) if we need that. They seemed very knowledgeable, and had a one-to-one ratio of nurses to babies in the NICU. These nurses stand at the baby's bedside, not sit at the nurses station like you see in most hospitals. Each baby we saw had a nurse standing over it, constantly monitoring that child. Right now, they had two babies there with CDH, one who needed very little intervention when she was born three days ago, and who underwent the corrective surgery today. She's doing great and is at the best end of the spectrum. On the other end was a CDH baby who has been there since September, a little boy. This hospital says although it's normal for them to average about 15 CDH babies per year, for some reason they've had fifteen births with this since December! They think there is a link to some sort of toxin but the verdict is still out on that one. Makes me wonder if there isn't some problem in that area.
Anyway, all the people are very nice. They gave us much information, and gave my daughter several books and good website addresses for information. They offered her their phone numbers and email addresses to write anytime they have more questions. We toured the NICU and it wasn't as frightening as I expected. Several times I felt like crying when the doctor was talking to us, because I dread what my daughter will be facing if her baby is sick, but I know she's upset too. I guess we'll just cry on each other's shoulders when we need to and deal with what we need to do to get this baby here, well, and home.
My nest will soon be empty. A week from this Saturday, my son who graduated from college in December will be moving into his new apartment nearer to his new job. He's excited. My husband and I have been married four years this month, and have never really lived alone. I know the empty nest thing would be really hard if I didn't have him. But I miss them all every day. I watched my daughter today as a young woman talking to the doctor and thought it seemed like yesterday she was the premie in the hospital nursery. I can still remember the sounds, sights and smells like it was yesterday, and it's been twenty-nine years. Twenty-nine YEARS. I still can't believe that. Time goes by so fast.
My daughter's best friend is due in October, and she's asked me to babysit her baby during the day while she works. I'm really looking forward to it. It's been a long time since I've had a baby to hold and rock. It will fill in the times between when I can see Claire.
Our list for the baby shower is growing. I think it will be a lot of fun. I've gotten games and some of the decorations. I went by party city and got even more ideas of things I want to get. I need some ideas for party foods. C'mon, Amy, I know you're our chef--what do you suggest?
We have hearty eaters in this family, so I wanted more than just a veggie tray and chips and dip. I need some ideas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have a good recipe for cheddar cheese balls. It's not like a cheese ball, but more a cheese puff. Very easy to make. I also have a very good spinach parmesean roll recipe, you make a filling, wrap it in Pillsbury crescent rolls. Very tasty. When I get back I'll send you recipes!